Tempe Police: Woman caught with two stolen handguns inside stolen Jeep

Police Beat photo

The Tempe Police station, which is located on Fifth Avenue near College Avenue. 

Tempe Police reported the following incident Wednesday:

A Tempe woman was arrested March 16 on the 1600 block of South Scottsdale Road on suspicion of theft and drug and paraphernalia possession, according to a police report.

Officers contacted the woman and a group of three friends after seeing a “suspicious vehicle” in the rear parking lot of a Motel 6, police reported.

The woman was quickly arrested after providing a fake name, according to the report.

Her friend was also arrested after a search revealed he had been in possession of heroin and several hypodermic needles, police reported.

The car, a 2000 Jeep Cherokee, also housed drug paraphernalia in plain view, according to the report.

A search of the vehicle revealed three handguns, two of which had been stolen and one which had been in the woman’s purse, police reported.

Officers also found another tablet in a bag that contained a tablet under the woman’s name, according to the report.

During a interview, the woman admitted to possessing one of the stolen handguns as well as the drug paraphernalia, though she said she was not aware of the second stolen gun, police reported.

Further investigation also revealed a temporary license plate on the Jeep, which had been stolen out of Phoenix, according to the report.

The woman was transported to Tempe City Jail, where she was booked and held to see a judge, police reported.

Report compiled by Aimee Plante.

Related links:

Tempe Police: Woman fleeing domestic dispute arrested for drunk driving

Tempe Police: Man arrested for having Xanax after getting robbed that day

Reach the news editor at aplante@asu.edu or follow @aimeenplante on Twitter

×