Trunk Space will be a nomad no more

Rumors of the local venue's recent death have been dispelled: Its new location is soon to be announced

Trunkspace 5
Phoenix musician Lonna Kelley performs for concert-goers at a pop-up Trunk Space event in Phoenix on Sept. 16, 2016.

Since the closure of its 1506 Grand Ave. location, Phoenix music fans wondered if The Trunk Space was as good as dead. However, the famed DIY music collective lives on as a pop-up venue while it waits to open at its soon-to-be-announced new location.

The Trunk Space has been around in one form or another for the past 12 years as a place for all ages to enjoy local and touring independent musicians.

Owner Steph Carrico said the whereabouts of the new locale are under wraps, but she indicated it would be somewhere in downtown Phoenix, “very close” to Grace Lutheran Church, near the intersection of 3rd and Portland streets.

Carrico said in the meantime, The Trunk Space is popping up wherever it can, providing a place where music fans of all ages can gather to watch and perform, while maintaining its DIY ethos.

“In my mind, the essence of Trunk Space inhabits that space for the night,” she said. “You won’t see a cover band. Hopefully you’ll see something a little bit unique, something a little different than what’s mainstream.”

Although the nomadic nature of the venue can create difficulties, Carrico said The Trunk Space is still dedicated being inclusive to patrons of all ages.

“I think it’s important that people of all ages get to learn from each other,” she said. “When I say all ages, I don’t mean teen hangout, I mean a place where everybody, regardless of age, is welcome.”

Read more: Future Trunk Space location uncertain except in the hearts of fans

In spite of its current nomadic nature, volunteer Maple Walton said The Trunk Space was more about its people than a physical building.

"I think that Trunk Space isn’t anything like a place, it’s more of like a feeling and a community of people,” she said. “I think as long as we all keep it together and just keep making music and being who’ve we’ve always been, we’re always here.”

Saturday night saw The Trunk Space pop up at a building on Grace Lutheran Church’s campus, where two local acts, art-pop band ROAR and singer-songwriter Lonna Kelley, performed with touring solo folk artist Bunny Boy.

Accompanying Lonna Kelly on guitar was her husband, Jay Hufman. He said The Trunk Space stays true to its values wherever it goes.

“(It’s great) being inclusive and having a safe space where kids can see music,” he said.

The Trunk Space is set to announce a new permanent location in the coming weeks. Until it’s unveiled, the venue has more upcoming events lined up for the fall.

The next show will be held at Grace Lutheran Church from 7-11 p.m on Sep. 24 in Phoenix. The event will be held in association with local arts organizer SEMI-SOCIAL and will feature nine local bands, including local band Red Tank!

The Trunk Space is also sponsoring a house show at a residence locally known as "Leaf House," 330 La Jolla Drive from 7:30-10:30 p.m. on Sept. 27, in Tempe which will feature touring Seattle alt-pop band Iji.

Both shows are all ages, with tickets at $8 for the Sept. 24 show, and $5 for the Sept. 27 show.

Reach the reporter at idickins@asu.edu or follow @sailormouthed92 on Twitter.

×