ASU Police partners with R.A.D. to offer sexual assault awareness and defense courses to all genders

Classes that were previously only available for women are now open to men and transgender individuals

Officer Daniel Miller practices self defense with student Elizabeth Briet, an ASU freshman majoring in chemisty, at the ASU Tempe police station on Sept. 8, 2016.

This semester, students of all genders will be able to learn self-defense techniques through updated sexual assault awareness and defense courses, which were previously only offered for women.

The new, male-based course provided by Rape Aggression Defense Systems, or R.A.D., will take place from November to December on the ASU Tempe campus and will be separate from the ongoing female-oriented courses.

Sgt. Joseph Morel of ASU Police is a trainer for the female-oriented Rape Aggression Defense courses, which currently focus on protecting oneself against an attempted rape or assault. Training includes blocking, kicking and swinging.

Alternatively, the acronym for the network's male-based course stands for "Resist Aggression with Defense." The focus of this class is different from the female-based courses in that it teaches men how to thoughtfully approach situations when sex with the opposite gender is involved.

"What we're going to teach is it's OK to just come out and ask, 'Do you mind if i give you a kiss goodnight?'" Morel said. "If she says no, that's the end of it. If she says yes, you now have permission to give her a kiss, but there's no more awkward encounters and misunderstandings."

Morel added that the male-oriented course also teaches men how to respond to a potential physical and/or sexual threat in hopes of ensuring that every community member feels safe. 

"It's OK to walk on campus and feel confident, (but) if someone were to attack, you (need) the physical ability, as well as the mental ability, to put a plan into action," Morel said. "You will be able to protect yourself. However, the course does not promote violence. Instead, it teaches how to use self-defense techniques. If he tries to hit us, we are going to block it first, verbally tell that person 'no', and if we have to strike back to protect ourselves, then we will."

ASU Police Department has also opened its doors to non-binary students who identify as a different gender from what they were assigned at birth.

Morel said that if someone identifies as transgender, then that person will be placed in whichever course they feel most comfortable with.

"We're not going to place you based on your birth certificate," Morel said.

Psychology undergraduate Tayler Courson said he agrees with the ASU Police Department's new direction, adding that he thinks it is smart to have safety-related classes for every individual.

"It can probably be best if they were open to all genders for anybody to attend," Courson said.

ASU Police Officer Daniel Miller works with Morel as a trainer for the female-oriented R.A.D. courses. However, he said that all R.A.D. courses have the same goal: to ensure our society adapts to an appropriate and equal interaction with one another.

"Just because he bought you a steak, it doesn't mean (you owe him) sex," Miller said. 

Read More:

ASU self defense course aims to reduce sexual assault on campus

Reach the reporter at gmijares@asu.edu or follow @thewillmijares on Twitter.

×