ASU vs Cal: By the numbers

What numbers stood out in ASU's big home win over Cal?

ASU team celebrates after winning the football game versus the California Golden Bears, 51-41, in Tempe, Arizona, on Saturday, Sept. 24, 2016.

31- Fourth quarter points for ASU to complete the comeback win. The Sun Devils are just the second Football Bowl Subdivision team in the past five seasons to score 30 or more fourth quarter points in a comeback win, joining Arizona in its 2014 win over Cal in Tucson.

3- Rushing touchdowns for redshirt sophomore quarterback Manny Wilkins. While not throwing well in the first half, Wilkins kept ASU moving with his legs. Wilkins rushed for 72 yards on 23 carries, leading ASU in both categories.

30- Length of sophomore tight end Jay Jay Wilson's third quarter touchdown. The score was Wilson's first career catch and the first time he was targeted in his young ASU career.

2- Second half receptions for Cal redshirt junior wide receiver Chad Hansen. After dominating ASU and sophomore cornerback Kareem Orr to the tune of eight catches for 104 yards and a score, Hansen was shut down in the second half, tallying only two catches for six yards.

8- Number of ASU receivers to catch a pass — a season high. Wilkins found Wilson and redshirt junior wide receiver Ellis Jefferson for the first time this season and kept Cal's defensive backs off-balance by targeting a plethora of options.

15- Points for senior kicker Zane Gonzalez — a season high. Gonzalez is tied with former Boise State kicker Kyle Brotzman for eighth on the all-time scoring list with 439 points. He is averaging over 13 points per game in 2016 and, if the pace continues, could finish his career as the most prolific scorer in college football history.

Reach the reporter at mtonis@asu.edu or follow @Tonis_The_Tiger on Twitter.

×