Two robberies occurred in and around ASU campus in the past week

One armed robbery happened near The District on Apache and another robbery happened near the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism building

ASU Police cruiser
An ASU police cruiser turns from Mill Avenue onto 5th Street on Oct. 19, 2014.

Two separate armed robberies occurred in the past week in and around ASU campus, one early Thursday morning and the other early Sunday morning.

The first armed robbery occurred at about 4 a.m. outside of the District on Apache, about a quarter-mile away from Barrett, the Honor’s College.

According to an email from Tempe Police, the man was held by knife point by the suspects, described as two black males. A third unidentified suspect drove the two men, but no further description of the other man was obtained, police said.

Sources confirm the victim was an ASU student.

Tempe Police said in an email that the suspects were driving a silver or gold Toyota Camry.

According to police, the victim was not injured.

In a statement to its residents, the District on Apache addressed the robbery.

“Because our goal at the District on Apache is to foster and create a happy, healthy and safe community for every resident, we want to alert you that we have had a report of an alleged robbery in the vicinity of the property,” the statement read.

The statement added that District management will be working with Tempe Police on the ongoing investigation.

The second robbery occurred outside of the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication building on the Downtown Phoenix campus at 4:30 a.m. on Sunday.

According to a statement released by ASU PD, two suspects approached the victim while he sat at a table outside of the Cronkite Building. The suspects stole the victim's bag, threatening to shoot the victim if they resisted, police said.

According to ASU PD, the victim, who was homeless, was treated for minor injuries by police and released.

“Anytime a crime is committed against a member of the ASU community it concerns all of us within the department,” said ASU Police in an email.

ASU PD added that the ASU community should remain vigilant, especially when traversing the campus at night.

“We ask that everyone in the ASU Community always remain alert and aware of your surroundings, and trust your instincts. If a situation feels unsafe, take appropriate safety precautions,” ASU PD stated in an email.

Reach the reporter at jdarge@asu.edu or follow  @jeffdarge on Twitter.

Like  The State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on Twitter.

×