Despite Republican control across the board, don't worry about Trump's first 100 days

Trump's first 100 days won't be eventful

Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump speaks during a campaign stop in the Phoenix Convention Center, in Phoenix, Arizona, on Saturday, Oct. 29, 2016.

Well, it happened, folks: The 45th president of the United States will be Donald J. Trump.

And if that wasn't enough, the Republican Party will retain control in both the House of Representatives and the Senate.

Trump will take the oath of office in January, and his debut year will be defined by his first 100 days in office.

Now, with Republicans in practically total control over the government, it is a common notion to believe every piece of legislation they propose and all of Trump's ideas will be law within that time.

That's not entirely true. I don't think his first 100 days will be very productive.

"There's going to be some showmanship right now between the Congressional leaders and the (president-elect)," law and policy senior Ryan Boyd said. "Democrats may filibuster in the Senate ... but I'm not sure it would be a complete shutdown at this point."

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell does not believe many of Trump's ideas are of a top priority for the country. That includes infrastructure reform and term limits for legislators.

The only thing McConnell saw as a priority was repealing and replacing the Affordable Care Act (but what else is new?)

Trump promises to uproot the Trans-Pacific Partnership deal and NAFTA, but doing that will take much longer than those first 100 days.

And don't worry, the border wall isn't even a possibility at this point. Neither is Clinton being jailed.

However, the one aspect of Trump's first 100 days that many may overlook is his nominee for the Supreme Court to replace the late Justice Antonin Scalia.

This is what I think he accomplishes first, and with Republican control in the Senate, it's almost inevitable.

We don't know who is on his short list yet but it's guaranteed to be a mega-conservative, white, pro-life judge.

Another thing people may overlook is his cabinet picks.

We've already heard rumors that Trump's secretary of state pick could be former House speaker Newt Gingrich, his attorney general could be former New York City mayor Rudy Giuliani and his chief of staff could be Republican National Committee chair Reince Priebus.

Democrats, be warned, there's a lot of change coming to Washington D.C.

But, if there's one thing we should learn from this election, it's that we should at least give him a chance. He's proven to overcome everyone's expectations so far.

Reach the columnist at abundy@asu.edu or follow @abkbundy on Twitter.

×