Fresh and Local Farmers Market at ASU Tempe seeks to provide healthy food to college students

Featuring local vendors and University-grown food, the market seeks to give students a healthy alternative

Fresh and local farmers market.

Danielle Vermeer tries a hand scrub at Simple Blossom Skin Care at the Fresh and Local Farmers Market on March 16, 2017.

Featuring everything from hummus to local honey, the new Fresh and Local Market is starting off with a buzz. Each Thursday until April 30. from 2:30 p.m. to 5 p.m., stations are set up in front of the Sun Devil Fitness Complex, providing students with local fruits and vegetables.

The vendors featured in this event include local sellers such as Simple Blossom Skin Care, Doctor Hummus and Baker’s Bees. Currently, the market is expanding its list of vendors in order in order to easily connect ASU’s student and faculty with local businesses.

Baker's Bees, one of the featured vendors, is run by ASU alumnus Nick Baker, who said he had a passion for all things bees. At the market, jars of honey from Baker's personal beehives were available to buy or sample, as well as a variety of flavored honey straws, all provided fresh from the hive.

Simple Blossom Skin Care sold signature hand and body lotions, including their vanilla, lemongrass, cafe mocha and cucumber melon scents. Their products are made with natural oils in small batches to ensure customers receive products that are fresh and created personally for them.

The event is put on by University Sustainability Practices, a department within the ASU School of Sustainability. The mastermind behind the market is Susan Norton, program coordinator of University Sustainability Practices. 

However, Fresh and Local is just one of the programs Norton has put on to encourage students and staff at ASU to practice healthier habits, all of which feed into each other. Norton is also in charge of running the garden on the Polytechnic campus

As well as produce sold by local Phoenix vendors, some of the vegetables available in the market were produced by University students, who gave their yield to market-goers for free. A class of 20 students enrolled in PPE 240 is taught by Norton how to grow their own food, and she takes the harvest to market once a week. 

The pre-washed leafy greens were handed out in bags. Some of the student-grown items included in the bags were kale, collard greens and both green and red romaine lettuce. 

“We usually sell it for a dollar," Norton said, "but when we have extra, we like to give it to students that’ll use it.”

Zero Waste at ASU also made an appearance at the market to give tips on sustainability. Anisa Abdul-Quadir, a student worker representing the group, dressed in a banana costume, told students how to preserve their produce.

“If you want to ripen a peach, just put it in a paper bag with a banana," she said. "If you were to avoid your leafy greens getting slimy, just throw a paper towel in with them.” 

One of the visitors to Abdul-Quadir's stall was biological sciences freshman Lauren Taylor. She said the entire event made her feel good about supporting local businesses.

“It has such a summery feel," she said. "It feels really nice to know we’re supporting local companies. It’s nice to get a break from class and enjoy some local food!” 

Students seeking information on future events or wanting to get involved with the market can contact the school of sustainability at sustainability@asu.edu.

Reach the reporter at acjuare1@asu.edu.

×