ASU police welcomes new assistant chief

Stuart Bedics, the new ASU assistant police chief, looks forward to his transition to a different department and environment

ASU police assistant chief Stuart Bedics poses for a photo outside the ASU police station by a squad car in Tempe, Arizona on Thursday, April 6, 2017.

ASU’s Police Department's newest Assistant Chief, Stuart Bedics, has joined the department under patrol division operations.

According to an ASU police press release, Bedics has 30 years of prior police experience, and held multiple chief police positions in Pennsylvania. He will be serving alongside ASU police Chief Michael Thompson and Assistant Chief Patrick Foster.

Bedics said he is eager to work at the department because of his background and interests, making it an easy transition for him.

“I’m looking forward to working with Chief Thompson and the men and women of ASU PD," he said. "I became interested in applying for the position when I found out that the ASU department had similar programs and philosophies from my previous department, which should make the transition a little easier. I’m excited about working for the larger institution that will enable me to rely upon my training and experiences in order to contribute where I’m based, at ASU PD.”

Outside of the job, Bedics said he likes to spend time partaking in his favorite pastimes, including golfing and spending time his family.

“When I’m off work, I enjoy spending time with my family, and relaxing by golfing, and spending as much time as possible outside," he said.

He also wants to observe and adjust to the ASU police before offering any ideas or changes, he instead hopes to strengthen the ASU community and focus on inclusivity.

“First, I need to get acclimated to the nuances of Arizona policing," he said. "I want to observe and evaluate for a period of time before I can offer any new ideas or programs to Chief Thompson and the staff. I would like to further enhance our community policing philosophy by engaging our community and forming a strong partnership. A safe campus involves everyone, not just the work of the ASU PD.”

Assistant Chief Patrick Foster said he is looking forward to working with Bedics on achieving the department's overarching goals.

"I'm looking forward to having Assistant Chief Bedics because he will be someone to collaborate with, learn from and share ideas with to help fulfill the mission of the ASU PD," he said. "Assistant Chief Bedics has over 30 years of law enforcement experience including executive-level campus law enforcement experience which made him stand out from other candidates."

ASU police Chief Michael Thompson said there were several qualities about Bedics that stood out to him. Thompson highlighted Bedics' past experience as what "makes him stand out." 

Thompson said he that his new assistant's past experience is something he hopes to draw upon to help improve his department.

"I really look forward to drawing upon Bedics' experience and expertise in not only university policing but also municipal policing. Assistant Chief Bedics comes to us with more than 33 years of police experience. He also comes in with a fresh set of eyes for constant improvement which we are always aiming for."

Reach the reporter at athoma36@asu.edu.

Like State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on Twitter.

×