ASU women's tennis earns fourth-straight victory

The Sun Devils got the job done against Washington State on the road

ASU senior Gussie O’Sullivan competes in a singles match versus UNLA at the Whiteman Tennis Center in Tempe, Arizona on Wednesday, March 22, 2017.

ASU women’s tennis (11-5, 4-2) earned its fourth-straight victory, 4-1, on Friday against the Washington State Cougars in Pullman, Washington.

The No. 36 Sun Devils had their hands full on a court surface different than they had encountered in all prior matches. After head coach Sheila McInerney’s team clinched the doubles point on courts three and one, four of the five singles matches required a third set, but ASU won three of them and the match.

“I was very pleased with the way we competed today and happy to get the road win,” McInerney said. “We knew WSU would be a tough out and they certainly proved to be. Kassidy (Jump) and Sammi (Hampton) did a great job pulling out very tough three-setters for the team win.”

Senior Alex Osborne and junior Nicole Fossa-Huergo, ranked No. 83 in the latest International Tennis Association doubles rankings, have struggled lately, but they were on point from serve one against senior Victoria Matejevic and sophomore Aneta Miksovska, defeating the Cougars pair on court one, 6-0.

Senior Kassidy Jump and sophomore Sammi Hampton clinched the doubles point, defeating the freshmen pairing of Guzal Yusupova and Ege Tomey, 7-5. The Sun Devil pairing earned their seventh consecutive victory on court three.

Read more: Long winning streaks becoming the norm for ASU women's tennis doubles pair

Junior Kelley Anderson and freshman Savannah Slaysman, ranked No. 72, did not finish their match on court two. They trailed, 5-6, against junior Barbora Michalkova and freshman Melisa Ates of Washington State.

In singles, the Sun Devils and Cougars split four first sets. Fossa-Huergo gave ASU a 2-0 lead with a 6-3, 6-2 victory over Matejevic on court four. Jump, ranked No. 61, put her team one match closer to victory, defeating Michalkova, 6-1, 4-6, 7-5. Anderson, ranked No. 88, was upset by Miksovska on court three, but Hampton defeated Yusupova, 4-6, 7-5, 7-5, clinching her second straight match.

Video Courtesy of ASU women's tennis senior Kassidy Jump.

Up Next:

The Sun Devils will battle the No. 31 Washington Huskies in Seattle on Sunday. First serve is set for 11 a.m. MST, with both the Pac-12 Championship and NCAA Tournament right around the corner.

Reach the reporter at jpjacqu1@asu.edu or follow @joejacquezaz on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter.

×