ASU women's tennis might have found its next distinguished doubles pair

From the start, junior transfer Kelly Anderson and freshman Savannah Slaysman clicked at the Tennessee Fall Invitational

ASU women's tennis junior transfer Kelly Anderson returns a serve during practice at the Whitman Tennis Center. 

ASU women's head coach Sheila McInerney often shuffles her doubles lineup during practice in order to make sure everyone on the team feels comfortable with each other's game.

She implemented this philosophy last weekend at the Tennessee Fall Invitational, looking for more aggressive play, especially on first serves and returns. 

“We changed up the order — who would play one, two and three,” McInerney said. “I think that was good for them, because obviously they played different people every match, which I think is important.”

In addition, McInerney debuted new combinations in doubles.

After playing with senior Alex Osborne in Berkeley, California, freshman Savannah Slaysman teamed up for the first time in a tournament with junior Kelley Anderson.

McInerney thought they would jive well together, adding that their games complement each other.

“They match each other,” McInerney said. “Were trying to get Kelly to calm down a little bit and Savannah to get amped up a little more, so it is a good mix.”

That assessment turned out to be spot on. McInerney might have found her next great doubles pair.

An Amazing Debut

On Friday, Slaysman and Anderson earned their first win together, defeating Ohio State senior Miho Kowase and sophomore Andrea Ballinger, 6-4.

They followed up that performance with two more victories on Saturday against the Tennessee Volunteers. 

In the first round, they dethroned sophomores Ashley Bongart and Kim Kermet, 6-2, before capturing another triumph by the same score in the second round against sophomore Saddie Hammond and redshirt freshman Gabby Shuck.

Even with a ranked opponent waiting on the other side of the net, Slaysman and Anderson's winning ways continued.

"We tell the kids all the time that no matter who they're playing, we feel like they have a chance to win,” McInerney said. “It doesn’t matter where they play in somebody’s lineup with their rank. I think that is a tennis player’s mentality.”

They pulled off the upset of the day, taking down the 22nd-ranked pairing of senior Kimmy Guerin and sophomore Anna Ulyashchenko of Wake Forest, 6-3, wrapping up the tournament with a undefeated record in the process.

Anderson's experience likely contributed to the tandem's success.

“You got a junior with a freshman, Kelly played doubles at Baylor for two years, so I think that has helped," McInerney said.

The pair rarely got away from their game plan and always looked to set up each other's strengths. Slaysman said she is confident playing with Kelly knowing the veteran will put her in a position to succeed.

“Kelly has a really big serve, so she will set me up to hit, we always have a plan for each point," Slaysman said.

Going forward, Anderson said she believes this is only the beginning for them in doubles, mentioning how pleased she is with how the other doubles pairs played.

For now, they are enjoying each other's company.

“I think our chemistry on the court is really good too," Anderson said. "We're both laughing all the time and having fun and just trying to have a good time out there."

Anderson and Slaysman will play together again this weekend at the ASU Thunderbird Invitational, but McInerney did not want to speculate on their long-term future.

Both players are excited to build on their mutual success at home for the first time.

“It will be so fun because I always came every year to watch the team play, and it is really cool that I am in the tournament," Slaysman said.

Last season, Osborne and Ebony Panaho recorded a 19-7 overall record and won the University's first PAC-12 doubles title.

Whether or not Anderson and Slaysman reach that level remains to be seen, but a 4-0 start is always nice.

Reach the reporter at jpjacqu1@asu.edu or follow @joejacquezaz on Twitter.

×