ASU Gammage announces 2017-18 season

Gammage announced upcoming plays at a preview event, including "Hamilton" and "The King and I"

Actors perform the famous hip-hop musical Hamilton, which will be coming to ASU Gammage in January of 2018.

ASU Gammage gave a preview of their next season as the theater announced all of the upcoming shows arriving in the 2017-18 season at its annual announcement event.

At the event, speeches were made by 2017 Gammy award winner George C. Wolfe, 2017 Jerry award winners Laurie and Chuck Goldstein and Desert School’s CEO Jeff Meshey.

“We are really excited about this upcoming season,” Meshey said.

Those who wish to buy subscriptions for the upcoming Gammage season will be able to purchase tickets starting May 15. However people who currently possess a subscription were able to renew their passes as early as March 28.

“ASU Gammage subscribers have the best opportunities for tickets, and that deserves a round of applause,” Colleen Jennings-Roggensack, the Executive Director of ASU Gammage said.

Subscriptions and regular tickets can be bought online through ASU Gammage or Ticketmaster.

These are the upcoming shows that are coming in 2017-18.

"Fun Home": Sept. 5 to 10

This Tony-Award-Winning show is not only a coming of age story but a coming out story. The show is based off of the graphic novel by Alison Bechdel and centers around Bechdel’s sexuality and her relationship with her father. Fun home is also the first Broadway musical to have a lesbian protagonist.

"Something Rotten!": Oct. 31 to Nov. 5

This play tells the story of two brothers, Nick and Nigel Bottom, who are desperate to write their own play in the 90s — the 1590s — despite William Shakespeare stealing the spotlight from them. 

"The Body Guard": Nov. 28 to Dec. 3

This play is based off of the 1992 film The Bodyguard, starring Whitney Houston. This play revolves around a love that develops between a pop star and a bodyguard and features many hits from Houston, including “I Wanna Dance with Somebody” .

"Hamilton": Jan. 30 to Feb. 25, 2018

This famous hip-hop musical revolves around famous treasurer Alexander Hamilton, with lyrics and music by Lin-Manuel Miranda. This will be the first time the musical is performed at a college campus. 

“With it being the engagement of Hamilton at a college campus," said Jennings-Roggensack. "Here at ASU, we are truly excited.” 

Breanna Dailey, a nursing sophomore, said she was very excited when they announced that Hamilton will be in Tempe.

“It blew up so big and it was only in like New York and Chicago," she said. "But now it is in the west coast and we can all see it." 

"The King and I": March 20 to 25

This classic is about an English governess who is hired to educate the King of Siam. The play is the fifth musical by Rodgers and Hammerstein and is based off of the novel "Anna and the King Siam" by Margaret Landon. It includes well known songs such as "Getting to Know You," "Hello Young Lovers," "Shall We Dance," "I Have Dreamed" and "Something Wonderful." 

"I watched that movie and loved that movie, so I am really glad it is coming to Gammage," Dailey said. 

"The Color Purple": April 17 to 22, 2018

This feminist musical is based off of the 1982 novel by Alice Walker and revolves around African-American women in the American South in the mid- 20th century.

"The Humans": May 29 to June 3, 2018

This Tony-Award-winning play revolves around a Thanksgiving celebration in an apartment in lower Manhattan. As the night goes on, the Blake family’s deepest fears are shown and modern age of anxiety is observed.

"School of Rock": June 19 to 24, 2018

Wannabe Rockstar Dewey Finn poses as a substitute teacher, but instead of teaching the students the normal academics, he turns them into little rock stars in this adaptation of the hit movie starring Jack Black. The play not only features the soundtrack from the original film, but it has 14 new songs from composer Andrew Lloyd Webber.

There were also two seasonal special engagements announced.

The first one is Rodger and Hammerstein’s "Cinderella", which can be viewed Dec. 19 to 24, 2017 and "Les Miserables," which will run May 15 to 20, 2018. 

Reach the reporter at editomass@asu.edu or follow @emily_ditomasso on Twitter.

Like State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on Twitter.

×