Wide receivers impress on fourth day of Camp Tontozona

With seemingly every other position group taking the spotlight during camp, the wideouts shined on Thursday

ASU freshman wide receiver N'Keal Harry (1) smiles during pregame warmups before the annual Territorial Cup football game against UA in Tucson's Arizona Stadium on Friday, Nov. 15, 2016.

Throughout ASU football’s Camp Tontozona it has seemingly been all about the quarterbacks, running backs and pass rushers, but today it was the wide receivers who turned heads.

Redshirt sophomore Terrell Chatman was the star of the day after grabbing several touchdowns, one of which he caught while falling backwards in the end zone.

Chatman didn’t see a lot of time last year, but head coach Todd Graham said the effort given by all of his players has been the best part of the team’s trip to Payson.

“One of the best things about this fall camp has been competition,” Graham said.

With few starting spots for a group of versatile playmakers, Chatman’s day of touchdown grabs likely won’t affect his role.

The team’s most likely starters will be sophomore N’keal Harry, redshirt sophomore John Humphrey and redshirt junior Jalen Harvey.

Despite the list of favored starters, there’s another guy doing everything in his power to see playing time his senior year — running back Jacom Brimhall.

He has contributed heavily to the special teams unit throughout his career at ASU, but he has recently made a position change from running back to wide receiver.

“I’m learning a number of positions right now,” Brimhall said. “I’m trying to be as valuable as I can for the team.”

The converted running back caught several passes today, most of which were screen passes.

While screen passes may not seem all that impressive, the offense hasn’t thrown more than a handful of deep balls in any team session open to the media at the Bill Kajikawa football practice fields.

However, when the team has thrown the ball farther than five yards, redshirt freshman Frank Darby has been one of the guys to make plays.

He credits his solid contribution this fall camp to the play of the quarterbacks.

“We got two great quarterbacks, Manny is doing well, Blake is doing well, we got some young ones behind them,” Darby said.

Notes from Practice

Both redshirt junior quarterback Manny Wilkins and redshirt sophomore quarterback Blake Barnett underwhelmed throwing the football today.

During the first team session Barnett and Wilkins combined for one completion on five throws.

Redshirt sophomore quarterback Brady White threw the ball particularly well in team drills. In one session he completed four passes on five throws with his only incompletion coming off a wide open drop.

Head coach Todd Graham told the media freshman running back Eno Benjamin will “no doubt” get playing time this season, which means he will not redshirt.

Freshman safety K.J. Jarrell ran with the third team defense.

Correction: A previous headline for this story incorrectly spelled Tontozona. It has been updated to reflect the proper spelling. 

Reach the reporter at atotri@asu.edu or follow @Anthony_Totri on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter.

×