USG Tempe elects new ASASU Supreme Court justice

USGT confirmed former Senate President Cristian Torres to the ASASU Supreme Court

USG Tempe Senate meeting

The USG Tempe Senate meets on Tuesday, Oct. 3, 2017 in the basement of the Memorial Union on the Tempe campus to vote for a new Supreme Court Justice.

Undergraduate Student Government Tempe held a Senate meeting on Tuesday, Oct. 3 where they discussed bills and voted to elect Cristian Torres, a justice studies senior and former USG senate president, to the Associated Students of ASU Supreme Court.

Throughout the meeting, senators discussed important causes that were brought to their attention or suggest different ways to improve their legislative practices. The most important topic discussed, however, was Torres' confirmation through Bill 25.

“So every campus has Supreme Court justices and they form the Supreme Court, which is the third branch of government for our organization," Senate President Breonn Peoples said. "As an executive team, we pushed the decision to the senators.”  

First, Peoples and Tempe USG President Brittany Benedict interviewed those who applied for the position and settled on Torres and another candidate who wasn't present Tuesday night.

Torres stood up and gave a small speech about why he was the best person for the job.

“A Supreme Court justice settles cases and controversies,” Torres said. 

He said his previous experience in USG has made him the best fit for the job. 

“A Supreme Court justice oversees cases that have violated the Constitution in any sort of way, or the bylaws of USG,” Benedict said. “So when they are brought up to the Supreme Court, the five justices are able to make those decisions, adequate decisions for our student body.”

Peoples said justices are unpaid and work on a case-by-case basis, but because they are the third check, they are always working together with the other branches of USG. 

After the confirmation hearing, the senators voted unanimously in favor of Torres.

Justices for the ASASU Supreme Court look over bills, making sure that they aren't violating the student code of conduct or previous legislation and also ensure that senators aren't violating policy.

Benedict said the executive board is focusing on educating students on what USG does and encourages people not only come to the meetings, but also to get involved. 

Reach the reporter at cmgiulia@asu.edu  or follow @tinamaria_4 on Twitter.

×