USCIS accepting DACA applications as of Jan. 13

The move comes in response to an injunction issued by a California judge

TrumpRally-8.jpg

President Donald Trump speaks at the Phoenix Convention Center for a rally in downtown Phoenix on Tuesday, Aug. 22, 2017. Trump's decision to wind down the DACA program was blocked by a California judge, ordering that applications must still be accepted.

On Jan. 13, the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services responded to the recent injunction made by a California district judge concerning the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program. The USCIS is now accepting applications if an individual's DACA status expired on or after Sept. 5, 2016. 

Last Tuesday, California district court judge William Alsup blocked Trump's decision to wind down the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, ordering that applications must still be accepted. 

The ruling states that DACA recipients are allowed to submit renewal applications if they weren't able to by the Oct. 5 deadline set by the Trump administration. 

This decision allows for the renewal of expiring applications but will not allow new applications to be submitted.

This morning, President Trump tweeted that "DACA is probably dead because the Democrats don't really want it."

Until additional guidelines are provided, DACA policy will continue to operate on the same terms that were place before it was rescinded on Sept. 5, 2017. 

If individuals have already had DACA or it expired on or after Sept. 5, 2016, they may still file for renewal. But if a person's DACA was expired before Sept. 5, 2016 or it was previously terminated, they may not submit an application for renewal. 

Edder Diaz Martinez, a journalism senior and DACA recipient, is happy that some recipients will be eligible to renew their DACA status, but still thinks that a permanent solution needs to be put in place. 

"It's still just not set in stone," Martinez said. "Obviously this is something that is very discretionary. This is something that's a stopgap measure for something that we need to fix permanently."

Reach the reporter at cmgiulia@asu.edu and follow @tinamaria_4 on Twitter.

×