ASU men’s tennis victorious in first road trip of the season

The Sun Devils won in both San Diego and Malibu on their road trip to Southern California

Baonoromandresy Rakotomalala Feb. 9, 2018.

ASU sophomore Baonoromandresy Rakotomalala competes in a singles match against Loyola Marymount at the Whiteman Tennis Center in Tempe, Arizona, on Friday, Feb. 9, 2018.

The ASU men’s tennis team traveled to Southern California over the weekend and defeated both University of San Diego and Pepperdine, 4-3, 4-0 respectively. 

ASU vs University of San Diego 

After losing the doubles point on Saturday afternoon, the Sun Devils bounced back and won the team match, 4-3. 

USD clinched the doubles point after beating Michael Geerts and Baonoromandresy Rakotomalala on court one, 6-3 and soon after freshmen Thomas Wright and Andrea Bolla fell 6-3 on court three. 

Freshman Benjamin Hannestad defeated Joel Gamerov on court three, 6-2, 6-3 to tie team points with San Diego, 1-1. 

Soon after on court six, Wright claimed victory against Alexandros Araouzos 6-4, 6-2. The next Sun Devil win came from freshman Tim Ruehl on court five against David Norfeldt, 7-6, 6-2.

USD fought back hard and claimed victory on courts two and four to tie the team points, 3-3. 

It all came down to a nail-bitting match against Geerts and Gui Osorio. Geerts won the first set, 7-5, but failed to clinch the second set and fell, 3-6. So, Geerts and Osorio went into a third and final tie-breaking set where Geerts swept, 6-0, producing an ASU team win against USD.

ASU vs Pepperdine University

The Sun Devils went up the California coast to complete their road trip in Malibu, CA., where they swept the Pepperdine Waves, 4-0.

ASU clinched the doubles point to secure an early lead on Sunday afternoon.

The Sun Devils proceeded to win their next three singles matches. Starting off with on court six with William Kirkman’s win against Felipe Galvao, 6-1, 6-1. 

Next single’s victory went to Pierre Louis Dodens on court five against Scotland Garapedian, 6-0, 6-3.

The Sun Devils claimed victory against Pepperdine with Ruehl's triumph over Yusuf Khamis on court three, 6-0, 7-5. 

With these two wins over the weekend, the Sun Devils' season record is now 5-3. 

Up next, the men’s tennis team will head to Montgomery, AL., for the Blue/Gray Tournament on Feb. 23. 

Reach the reporter at sbrisen@asu.edu or follow @sophiabriseno on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepressport on Twitter.

×