ASU track and field has excelled in field events

As the season comes to an end, ASU track and field has shown continuous strength in field events

_MG_5717.jpg

ASU redshirt senior thrower Magdalyn Ewen throws a shot put during practice at the Sun Angel Stadium in Tempe, Arizona, on Tuesday, Feb. 13, 2018.

As the ASU Track and Field team heads into the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation Indoor Championships in Seattle on Friday, the ASU men’s pole vault team, the women’s triple jumpers and the women’s throwing team have shown that track and field is not only about running events, but the field events too. 

The Sun Devils have displayed great results in their field events through the top-performers of the team. Redshirt senior thrower Magdalyn Ewen, senior jumper Darreyl Woodson and freshman pole vaulter Cole Riddle have been integral to ASU's success in field events.

Women’s Throws

Ewen has caught the eyes of many with her superb performances at meets. Ewen has already  broken two records and has continuously improved that record at every meet. 

Ewen set herself in first place all time in ASU indoor records in the shot put at 19.20m/ 63ft, and in the weight throw at 22.26m/ 73-0.50ft. 

“We try and work on those pieces of the technique, then we try to put the pieces together, to create their throw,” throws coach Brian Blutreich said. “The more correct we can be, the more consistent we can be, and the more consistent we can be, the better off in the meets.”

Creeping up behind Ewen in the shot put is redshirt freshman Samantha Noennig in sixth place of ASU indoor records at 16.71m/ 54-10ft. 

In the weight throw, redshirt sophomore Kaylee Antill is in seventh place with a mark of 19.47m/ 63-10.50ft. 

Men’s Pole Vault

The men’s pole vault team has four members that have made their way into Sun Devil history. 

Riddle’s personal best of 17-5.50ft has him in fourth place in ASU indoor history. 

“It’s cool when one of us jumps really high, but it’s even better when all of us jump high, because then we start putting our name out there and other colleges recognize us as a vault school,” Riddle said. 

Redshirt senior Nathan Hiett is not far behind Riddle in fifth place with his mark of 17-4.5ft. 

Seventh place belongs to redshirt junior Matthew Eckles at 17-1.5ft. Freshman Michael Chadwick is just one inch behind Eckles at 17-0.5ft., marking him in eighth place all time. 

“The environment of the pole vault program, with the athletes we have, it just brings such great energy and passion for the sport. We don’t do anything different than anybody else does. Our kids are very, very motivated and they love the pole vault,” pole vault coach Ron Barela said. “This group that I have right now, they are out there every day working hard, pushing each other and making each other better every single day.”

Women’s Triple Jump

Woodson has jumped up to second place in the all-time ASU indoor records with a jump of 12.59m/ 41-3.75ft.  

In fourth place of the women’s triple jump leader boards is junior Jessica Barreira with a mark of 12.48m/ 40-11.25ft.

The Sun Devil Track and Field team competes in the MPSF meet tomorrow at the University of Washington, starting with the weight throw at 1 p.m. MST. 

Reach the reporter at cncarte1@asu.edu or follow @CCydeni on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepressport on Twitter. 

×