Skip to Content, Navigation, or Footer.

Small fire at the ASU Brickyard complex on Mill Avenue

A small electrical fire took place at the multi-use space on Sunday evening


Tempe firefighters gather their gear near the Ira A. Fulton School of Engineering building on Mill Avenue in Tempe, Arizona, on Sunday, Oct. 14, 2018. 

A small electrical fire stemming from a computer monitor in ASU's Brickyard complex occurred on Sunday evening, according to a spokeswoman from Tempe Fire Medical Rescue Department

There were no reported injuries at the time of publication.

"The fire was in an actual computer monitor," interim Assistant Chief and Fire Marshal Andrea Glass said.

The building sprinkler system was activated and contained the fire's location until firefighters arrived to the scene, Glass said. The cause for the fire is still undetermined, but the department will conduct an investigation to determine the cause.

The fire itself occurred on the third floor of the Brickyard complex, but water damage from the activated sprinkler system affected both the second and third floors severely, Glass said. The third floor experienced some flooding and computers in the building were significantly damaged.

"There was extensive work done by the fire crew to protect the computer systems that were located on the second floor from the water damage,” Glass said.

The Brickyard, located on Mill Avenue, houses several Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering labs and classrooms, as well as the ASU Art Museum Ceramics Research Center, the School of Arts, Media and Engineering and multiple research centers.

A Tempe police officer tapes off the road and sidewalks near the Ira A. Fulton School of Engineering building in Tempe, Arizona, on Sunday, Oct. 14, 2018. 

Students working in the labs said they immediately evacuated the building upon hearing the fire alarm.

Aditya Prasad Mishra, a masters student studying computer science, was working in his lab at the time of the incident.

"I was a bit worried when I smelled the smoke coming outside," Mishra said.

Once the fire was contained, the fire department started letting people back into their offices to get their belongings before continuing the investigation.

"There is going to be a significant amount of cleanup from water damage," Glass said. "They will bring in a restoration company to assist with the cleanup."

This story will be updated as more information becomes available. 

Reach the reporters at and or follow @masaihunterTV or @sabinegalvis on Twitter.

Like The State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on Twitter.

Continue supporting student journalism and donate to The State Press today.

Subscribe to Pressing Matters



This website uses cookies to make your experience better and easier. By using this website you consent to our use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie Policy.