Officer-involved shooting occurs near ASU Tempe campus

The suspect was treated for his injuries and taken into custody, and no officers were injured

FullSizeRender.jpg

The road is blocked off by police tape after a shooting near campus in Tempe, Arizona, on Tuesday, Nov. 20, 2018.

The Tempe Police Department is investigating a officer-involved shooting that occurred near University Drive and Farmer Avenue Tuesday afternoon.  

The incident happened at around 12:30 p.m. when police encountered the suspect while he walking in an alley. The suspect then allegedly resisted arrest by running away and attempting to jump a fence, according to Tempe police detective, Liliana Duran.

Police described the suspect as a white male; however, they have yet to release a name, she said. In addition, police allege that the suspect was carrying a weapon, Duran added. 

"We know that (officers) did approach him and contacted him," Duran said. "In response to the suspect resisting arrest, one officer fired a less lethal gun which struck the suspect and another discharged their weapon."

The suspect reportedly had a warrant for arrest in Colorado for committing multiple violent crimes including domestic violence and fled to Arizona, Duran said. Tempe police partnered with the U.S. Marshal task force to identify and confront the suspect, prompting one to fire a non-lethal weapon that uses rubber bullets.

The officers involved are OK, and the suspect was taken to hospital for minor injuries.

According to Tempe police commander Michael Pooley, officials believe the suspect was residing at Tempe hotel.

This is a developing story. More information will be added as it is made available.

Reach the reporter at mdhunte2@asu.edu or follow @masaihuntertv on Twitter.

×