ASU swim and dive caps off a successful weekend at the Indiana Invitational

The men's and women's swim teams both took fourth place overall in Bloomington, Ind.

ASU Swim and Dive Practice-30.jpg
The ASU Swim and Dive team practices at the Mona Plummer Aquatic Center in Tempe, Arizona, on Monday, Oct. 29, 2018.

Wrapping up a successful weekend at the Indiana Invitational, the ASU swim and dive program notched two fourth place overall victories, totaled 47 NCAA B-cuts and broke multiple ASU school records. 

The men and women's teams both took fourth-place overall in the competitive Invitational. The men's team received 1,128 points while the women's team totaled 820 points to cap off a victorious few days in Bloomington, Ind. 

Senior breaststroker Danny Comforti got the Sun Devils their second individual event win of the weekend on Saturday, placing first in the 200 breaststroke. Comforti finished an entire 1.13 seconds before the runner-up, which was the largest margin of the night. 

Junior Zach Poti took the second podium finish of the night for the squad coming in less than half a second behind the first place finisher in the 200 backstroke. This tied his own personal record of 1:40.48, which was the fourth fastest for the event in ASU history.

The team stood out during Friday's events as well. Seven other swimmers broke into ASU's top-10 record list, including junior Chloe Isleta (100BK), senior Fanny Teijonsalo twice (100FL), senior Marlies Ross (400 IM), sophomore Grant House (200FR), Poti again (100BK) and junior Ben Olszewski (400 IM). 

House raced to a second-place finish for his event, putting up a new personal best. Poti finished first in his 100BK, touching the wall at 45.74. 

The impressive freshmen class shined once again by receiving nine out of the 47 B-cut times on Saturday. 

Among them were freshmen standouts such as Khalil Fonder (100FL, 100BK), Jack Edgemond (200FL), Liam Bresette (500FR, 200FR), Cody Bybee (500FR, 200FR, 200FL) and Ruby Martin (200FL). 

In her event, Martin joined the likes of Poti by notching her own ASU record, putting down the school's fourth fastest time in the 200 fly. 

Martin has excelled this season, already holding two of the top-10 times during the first four meets of the year. Her time of 1:57.95 put her in fifth place at Saturday's A-finals and Martin was one of three freshmen in the 200 fly finals. 

Sophomore Emma Nordin earned her own fourth-place finish in the women's 1650 yard free final, coming in at a time of 16:09.78, a full 11 seconds ahead of her previous personal best. 

The program now goes on their winter training break for over a month before Washington State travels to Tempe on Jan. 12, 2019 to take on the women's team.

Reach the reporter at kcdoyle2@asu.edu or follow @kellydoyle06 on Twitter. 

×