Thanksgiving roundup: ASU hoops takes center stage in Vegas, volleyball gets set for final home game

It has been a busy holiday week for Sun Devil Athletics

_MGL2049.jpg

ASU freshman guard Luguentz Dort (0) passes the ball in a scrimmage against Arizona Christian University at Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe, Arizona, on Tuesday, Oct. 30, 2018.

Dining rooms were full of delicious meals on Thursday, and while many people are still recovering from the aftermath of a Turkey Day hangover, the State Press sports desk was stuffed with wall-to-wall Sun Devil athletic action.

The ASU men's and women's basketball teams were a combined 2-1 in Las Vegas, ASU volleyball played the No. 2 team in the country, and the ASU men's hockey team spent Friday night in Omaha.

ASU hoops takes over Sin City

The ASU men’s basketball team started off Thanksgiving a little early with something that was a little sweeter than just the dessert at the kitchen table.

The Sun Devils edged past No. 15 Mississippi State and Utah State en route to the MGM Resorts Main Event title in Las Vegas.

ASU defeated Mississippi State on Monday night 72-67 before knocking off Utah State 87-82 on Wednesday in a pair of five-point victories that lifted the team to a 5-0 start to the season.

The Sun Devils are currently the lone team in the Pac-12 that is still undefeated, and freshman guard Luguentz Dort received the honor of tournament MVP after dropping 33 points in the championship game against Utah State.

That championship performance was set up by an ASU victory on Monday against Mississippi State, in which sophomore forward Kimani Lawrence hit a go-ahead three-pointer with under one minute remaining to lift the Sun Devils past the Bulldogs. 

The tournament for the men's team marked the second year in a row that ASU has won a holiday tournament in Vegas.

As for the women's basketball team, they took on No. 5 Louisville in the South Point Thanksgiving shootout on Friday in Vegas. The Sun Devils dropped the game in a 58-56 contest that went down to the wire. In a back-and-forth affair, there were 11 ties and 12 lead changes. 

However, in the end, ASU would fall just short, marking the team's second single-digit loss to a top-5 opponent this season.

ASU men's hockey drops a barn burner against UNO

The ASU men's hockey team spent its Black Friday in Omaha to take on the Nebraska Omaha Mavericks. The Sun Devils fell 6-4 in a game that lit up the scoreboard.

ASU would take a 4-3 lead in the third period, but three straight Maverick tallies would do the Sun Devils in for the night. UNO senior forward Mason Morelli had four points, and Omaha would be able to steal a game after getting swept in Tempe earlier this season.

The Sun Devils will look to earn a split against the Mavericks tomorrow night. 

ASU volleyball falls to No. 2 Stanford

Fresh off a win against a top-15 opponent, the ASU volleyball team returned to play on its home floor on Thanksgiving eve. 

The Sun Devils dropped three straight sets to No. 2 Stanford to earn a 3-0 loss, and that defeat against a lethal Cardinal roster now sets up for one final home match at Wells Fargo Arena against No. 23 Arizona, as ASU has an opportunity to send its seniors out on a high note against its in-state adversaries.

On Wednesday, ASU senior outside hitter Alyse Ford notched 17 kills after slamming down 25 kills against her former school in USC last Sunday. 

The senior has strung together multiple strong performances, and she will look to round out her Sun Devil career in memorable fashion against the Wildcats on Saturday night.  

Reach the reporter at atbell1@asu.edu or follow @AndrewBell7 on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepressport on Twitter.

×