Instant Recap: ASU men's basketball defeats No. 1 Kansas in 80-76 upset win

No. 18 ASU takes down the undefeated Jayhawks in the last two minutes of the game

DSC_2413.jpg

ASU redshirt senior forward Zylan Cheatham (45) celebrates with fans as ASU defeats the University of Kansas 80-76 on Saturday, Dec. 22, 2018 in Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe, Arizona.

The ASU men's basketball team upset the top team in the nation on Saturday with a last-minute 80-76 win over the Kansas Jayhawks, putting an end to the Jayhawks’ previously undefeated season.

The No. 18 Sun Devils (9-2) trailed the Jayhawks (10-1) most of the game until Sun Devils sophomore guard Remy Martin sneaked in a jump shot, breaking the 76-76 tie with only 59 seconds remaining.

With the clock stopped at six seconds, a pair of free throws from redshirt junior guard Rob Edwards sealed the deal for the Sun Devils' win.

The win was only the second time in the school's history that the Sun Devils took down a No. 1 ranked opponent. The Sun Devils' defeated Oregon State in 1981 when ASU was ranked No. 5.

Edwards led his team against the Jayhawks with 15 total points scored, four rebounds and 3-of-5 shooting on three-point shots.

On the other hand, the Jayhawks, who entered Saturday's match unscathed, controlled the ball for the majority of the game. 

With a game high of 30 points scored and 14 rebounds, redshirt junior forward Dedric Lawson helped propel his team to a lead that stretched as far as 12 points during the first half.

But the Sun Devils were not fazed by the deficit and kept chipping away at the lead until ultimately securing the historic win. 

ASU will have a week's rest before taking on Princeton (6-5) on Saturday, Dec. 29 at 2 p.m. MST.  

Reach the reporter at Edith.Noriega@asu.edu or follow @Noriega_Edith on Twitter. 

×