Solid lands earn No. 13 ASU gymnastics a first place finish

The Sun Devils earned 195.675 total points in the win over Texas Women's University

Cairo Leonard-Baker Feb. 17, 2018

ASU freshman Cairo Leonard-Baker competes on the beam during a meet against Washington at Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe, Arizona, on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018.  

ASU women's gymnastics (3-1) notched a first place finish of 195.675 against Texas Women's University  on Saturday.

The No. 13 Sun Devils saw an improvement of 0.675 in its second match of the season and first-ever match over the No. 30 Pioneers (0-2).

Senior Anne Kuhm led the Sun Devils with a team high of 9.850 on vault and 39.175 all-around. 

Sun Devil sophomore Cairo Leonard-Baker, who led the Sun Devil's in their first match of the season, received a top score of 9.850 on bars and 9.875 on floor finishing with an all-around score of 39.025. 

Meanwhile, senior Justine Callis rounded out the beam rotation with a top of 9.800.

The Pioneers certainly delivered throughout all four rotations; junior Bria Northrop scored the highest in all-arounds of the night with 39.225 and freshman Isabel Goyco scored the highest on beams with 9.825.

Additionally, Pioneer junior Hope Parkin landed a career-high on vault, scoring a 9.850 and beating her previous score of 9.775.  

The Sun Devils will be put to the ultimate test when they travel to Los Angeles to play No. 2 UCLA on Monday, Jan. 21 at 3 p.m. MST.

Reach the reporter at Edith.Noriega@asu.edu or follow @Noriega_Edith on Twitter. 

×