The ASU Angle: From the College Republicans United to USG elections

Here's what you need to know about politics on campus this week

News moves fast. Keep up with national, state and local political happenings with this week's politics round-up from The State Press. 

It’s been a busy semester for politics at ASU. Here are some of our top stories from the past week.

ASU begins investigating racist comments made by members of College Republicans United

Last week, ASU began investigating racist and inflammatory comments and messages sent between members of College Republicans United, a conservative fringe group on campus. The group, which split off from the more mainstream College Republicans last year, has previously faced scrutiny for its use of controversial symbolism and offensive language on social media.  

The University announced that it was investigating the group after the Phoenix New Times reported on the contents of a dossier that included additional chat logs and photos of club members adjacent to white supremacist iconography. 

The club publicly apologized following reports by the State Press and New Times on the dossier. However, their apologies were criticized by protesters as being insincere.

Read more in this story by Isaac Windes.

ASU overhauls fee structure in new tuition proposal 

ASU President Michael Crow talks during an interview at the Fulton Center in Tempe, Arizona, on Monday, Mar. 18, 2019.

ASU announced on Friday that its proposing a new tuition model for the next academic year. Instead of charging students bills that combine tuition, hybrid and iCourse fees, technology fees and other itemized charges, tuition will be calculated through a tiered system. Students will have to pay a base tuition amount depending on their residency status plus one of four different fees depending on the college their major is in. 

Read more in this week's story by Bryan Pietsch and Isaac Windes.

USG and GPSA elections end with lingering senate vacancies

"Even after elections, USG vacancies abound." Illustration published on Tuesday, April 17, 2018.

Student government elections ended this week after the candidates campaigned for two weeks. Each campus elected a new president, a vice president of policy, a vice president of service and senators who represent different schools. Despite candidates’ efforts to get the word out, voter turnout was low, and there are open senate seats remaining on every campus. 

Find out who won in this story by Kiara Quaranta and yours truly.

Reach the reporter at Vandana.Ravikumar@asu.edu and follow @vandana_rav on Twitter. 

Get the best of State Press delivered straight to your inbox.