Next week in events: From Phoenix Pride to ASU's annual Pow Wow

The State Press looks at events on and off campus for the week of April 7-13

nextweek.jpeg

"Spark your calendars." Illustration published on Thursday, Oct. 25, 2018.     

From participating in the Phoenix Pride parade to watching the highly anticipated return of "Wicked" to celebrating Native American culture at ASU's annual Pow Wow — there's a lot happening both on and off campus this week.

Sunday, April 7 

Pride Festival and Parade: Located at Steele Indian School Park, Phoenix Pride attracts over 40,000 visitors throughout the duration of the annual two day celebration of the diverse LGBT+ and ally communities. The festival's hours are noon to 9:00 p.m. and there will be performances, food and shopping.

Monday, April 8

Arizona Short Film Festival: This new festival will be held at the Pollack Tempe Cinema from 6:00 to 9:30 p.m. Short films of all genres, styles and languages have been selected by judges for the audience. Films will be chosen for awards in multiple categories including best short film, documentary short and comedy short.

Tuesday, April 9

Dismantling a Culture of Rape: Created by Project Humanities, this event serve to foster discussion about America’s rape culture following many recent high-profile assault cases. The event will be hosted at Mesa Community College from 6 to 8 p.m., and local experts and activists will be facilitating the conversation with community members who attend. 

Wednesday, April 10 

Annual Maricopa County Fair: This year, the largest county fair in Arizona will be held at the Arizona State Fairgrounds April 10-14. Attractions include a livestock show, fair food and carnival rides. 

Thursday, April 11

"Wicked": The musical is making its anticipated return to ASU's Gammage and will be showing through May 5. The musical is about the two infamous witches from "The Wizard of Oz" and how the “Witch of the West” became so wicked. 

Friday, April 12

ASU's annual Pow Wow: This is ASU's 33rd annual Pow Wow, and the celebration has found a new home this year. The event has historically been held at various practice fields across the Tempe campus, but will be moving to Sun Devil Stadium this year. The Pow Wow celebration will be three days long and is expected to attract thousands of visitors from across the country.

Saturday, April 13

Tillman Honor Run: In honor and support of the Pat Tillman Foundation, which provides scholarships for veterans and their spouses, the ASU Alumni Association is hosting the 4.2 mile run or walk in Flagstaff. The event has been a popular tradition on the Tempe campus since 2004, and cities across the country participate in honor of Tillman's legacy. 

Reach the reporter at adunn11@asu.edu or follow @adrienne_dunn on Twitter.

×