Luguentz Dort officially declares for 2019 NBA Draft

The Pac-12 Freshman of the Year intends to sign with agent

DortDeclaresforDraft

ASU freshman guard Luguentz Dort (0) gets ready on defense during ASU's 79-75 loss to the Oregon Ducks in T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, on Friday, March 15, 2019.

Freshman guard Luguentz Dort officially declared for the 2019 NBA Draft via ESPN and his Instagram on Wednesday.

Dort said his intent is, "to sign with an agent and be all-in," according to Jonathan Givony from ESPN.  

Dort's projections in the draft have varied throughout the year. He has been projected as high as a late first-rounder, including ESPN who has him as the 27th best player available. However, he has more recently been projected as a mid-to-late second rounder. 

He also won Pac-12 Freshman of the Year honors this season, after averaging 16 points, four rebounds and two assists per game. 

The guard had a chance to return to ASU if he wanted. If he followed certain rules, including hiring an NCAA-certified agent, Dort could have gone through what is now called an Undergraduate Advisory Committee evaluation.

This would have allowed him to gauge his draft stock while still having the safety net of returning to play collegiate basketball.

But with Dort's statement, he looks to be fully committed to furthering his career.

Dort would immediately make an impact on an NBA team as an individual defender. He wouldn't have problems adjusting to the physicality of the NBA game with his already professional-grade frame.

However, he would struggle to contribute on offense. He is a poor shooter from long-range, shooting just 30 percent from three this past season, and has trouble finishing up close at times, which is where he generates most of his points. 

However, Dort said he wants to show scouts how he has shored up those holes in his game.

"During the pre-draft process, I would like to show NBA teams that I got better with my 3-point shot, my decision-making and also being the good defender that I am," Dort said to ESPN.

The NBA Draft Combine will take place May 14 through May 19 in Chicago, with the NBA Draft taking place on June 20 in New York.  

Reach the reporter at jhorst2@asu.edu and follow @HorseySeven on Twitter.

Jeffrey HorstDigital editor-in-chief

Jeffrey Horst is the digital editor-in-chief of The State Press. He previously served as the publication's sports editor and worked at Cronkite News and ArizonaSports.com.

×