What's going on with all the construction around Tempe?

Construction around the ASU campus is projected to bring more business and improved transportation to Tempe

DSC_2645.jpg

Construction on the ASU Tempe campus. Taken on Saturday, June 8, 2019.

This summer, various construction projects are popping up all around ASU's Tempe campus. While they're creating temporary traffic and road blocks for residents, they are expected to bring more businesses and better transportation to downtown Tempe.

“There is a billion dollars of University construction moving forward — some through investors and some through partners,” President Michael Crow said in a town hall meeting on May 29.

Here's a look at some of the projects taking place on and around campus:

Tempe Streetcar

The Tempe Streetcar, which will run along the south and west side of campus and through Mill Avenue, is expected to be finalized in 2021, according to the Valley Metro website.

The 3-mile Streetcar will feature 14 stops to provide transportation between nearby restaurants, parks, and other destinations. It is not yet known what the fare will be for the Streetcar.

Susan Tierney, Valley Metro communications manager, said this new mode of transportation will simplify students' daily commute.

“The Streetcar will be a new way for students to travel in one of the most populated places in Tempe where they will easily be able to jump on and jump off,” she said.

The Tempe Streetcar will operate in a smaller vehicle than the lightrail, will have more frequent stops and will share the roadway with vehicle traffic, Tierney said. 

The northbound lane of Mill Avenue, bike lanes and certain parking areas will be closed until Aug. 15 while construction takes place.

“We are aware that construction has been an issue, but as long as we communicate to the community and the neighbors, then everything runs smoothly,” Tierney said. “Communication is key.” 

Novus Innovation Corridor

Located near Lot 59, the Novus Innovation Corridor will include restaurants, hotels, nightlife, office buildings, athletic training facilities and residential living spaces.

The Corridor will be open for pedestrians and bike users and will offer a transit plaza that connects the Corridor to the ASU campus.

Hayden 2020

Hayden Library, ASU’s largest library, is currently undergoing renovations for a more creative, innovative and inclusive workspace for students. 

The ground floor of Hayden Library will be open to students in the fall 2019 semester, and the remaining floors will open in January 2020.

The main goal of the Hayden Library reinvention is to create an inclusive and welcoming environment for all students. 

The newly renovated library will include two new ground floor entrances, gender-neutral bathrooms, POD markets, lockers, classrooms, additional seating, presentation practice rooms, 3D printers and more. 

Jennifer Duvernay, communications and donor relations director for ASU, said the short-term inconvenience of only half of the library being open will pay off in the long run.

“We know that it has been a sacrifice to not have the library fully open for students for the past year and a half, but in the long run, it will really be able to benefit students and provide many resources,” she said.

Mirabella Retirement Center

“The center is being built on University with partnerships between a not-for-profit senior living company and ASU enterprise partners," Crow said during the town hall meeting.

The University’s goal is to connect with people who want to continue to learn and be a part of the community, Crow said. 

Mirabella will include various facilities such as memory care, learning, child care and nursing.

The Center is located on the north-west corner of campus on Mill Avenue and University drive and will promise resort-style living, dining and wellness programs, according to the Mirabella website.

Reach the reporter at mfsadegh@asu.edu and follow @SadeghiMckenzie on Twitter.

Like The State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on Twitter.

×