Del Rey and Sisk lead ASU men's golf to second straight win

The Sun Devils turned in a remarkable effort to earn first place at the Trinity Forest Invitational

20190914 Mason Andersen

ASU now-senior Mason Andersen lines up his ball before he tees off on Saturday, Sept. 14, 2019, at the Mirabel Golf Club in Scottsdale.

The ASU men’s golf team won its second straight tournament of the season this week, taking home first place at the Trinity Forest Invitational in Dallas.

A week removed from their victory at the Maui Jim Intercollegiate in Scottsdale, the Sun Devils rolled out a different lineup as three of the team’s members are set to travel to the Asia-Pacific Amateur in Shanghai, China starting on Thursday.

Head coach Matt Thurmond assembled sophomore Cameron Sisk, junior Mason Andersen, senior Alex del Rey, senior Blake Wagoner and freshman Ryggs Johnston as his five-man squad at Trinity Forest Golf Club.

ASU battled from start to finish, ending with an impressive team score of -30 (822), four strokes ahead of tournament host Southern Methodist University.

The team placed second in stroke average for par 4 holes in the tournament with an even 4.00 average and first for par 5 holes with a score of -22, which equates to an average of 4.51.

Del Rey led the charge for the Sun Devils, turning in an incredible performance with a final score of -16 (197), placing him atop the player leaderboard five strokes ahead of the second place finisher. The native of Madrid, Spain also finished with 19 birdies across the three rounds, which helped ASU place second in total birdies as a team with 62.

Del Rey’s individual stats were also top among the leaderboards. He placed first in stroke average for par 4 and par 5 holes, earning averages of 3.79 (-7) and 4.11 (-8) respectively. He also contributed one of the team’s two eagles, completing what was a dominant effort.

Sisk continued his impressive start to the fall season, placing third among all competing golfers with a final score of -8 (205). The sophomore, who placed first among all golfers last week at Maui Jim, notched 15 birdies in Dallas, a whopping eight of which he scored in the second round.

The victory emphasized the team's depth of talent and the wide variety of skilled players that Thurmond and associate head coach Armen Kirakossian have to work with.

The Sun Devils now have just under two weeks to train and prepare before heading to Notre Dame to compete in the Fighting Irish Classic on Oct. 7. 

Reach the reporter at hcroton@asu.edu or follow @thecrote on Twitter. 

×