ASU men's golf secures No.1 spot in Bushnell/Golfweek Coaches Poll

The Sun Devils' ranking comes after their wins in both the Maui Jim Invitational and Trinity Forest Invitational in September

Imani Randle

ASU sophomore Cameron Sisk prepares to drill the ball through the link at the Mirabel Golf Club in Scottsdale, Arizona on Saturday, Sept. 14, 2019. 

The ASU men’s golf team has jumped to the No. 1 spot among NCAA Division I programs in the nation, according to the latest Bushnell/Golfweek Coaches Poll.

The Sun Devils have had a terrific start to the 2019-20 campaign, winning both the Maui Jim Invitational and the Trinity Forest Invitational in September.

Notably, both wins have come from mixed lineups, as three of the team’s key players — senior Chun An Yu, junior Won Jun Lee and sophomore James Leow — competed in the Asia-Pacific Amateur on Sept. 28, following the team’s trip to Dallas.

The Sun Devils possess strong depth on their roster and are now ranked ahead of No. 2 Georgia Tech and No. 3 Baylor after receiving 14 first-place votes in the poll.

The University of Texas, who began the year in the top spot, sunk to No. 10, while 2019 NCAA Division I Champion Stanford currently sits at No. 21.

In addition to their first-place standing at both tournaments this year, two Sun Devil players earned medal honors at the events.

Sophomore Cameron Sisk and senior Alex Del Rey both placed atop the player leaderboards at Maui Jim and Trinity Forest invitationals, turning in remarkable final scores of -14 (196) and -16 (197), respectively.

ASU’s next tournament will take place Oct. 7 and 8, when they compete in the Fighting Irish Classic in Notre Dame, Indiana.

The abundance of talent that head coaches Matt Thurmond and Armen Kirakossian have to work with will make the Sun Devils hard to beat in Notre Dame.

Reach the reporter at hcroton@asu.edu or follow @thecrote on Twitter. 

×