Sun Devil volleyball sweeps Flo Hyman Collegiate Cup

Leffel reached 1,000 career digs after collecting over 20 digs in each of three matches

JeffVBpiece.jpg

ASU sophomore setter Noa Miller (22) sets up a play for ASU senior outside hitter Jade Burse (2) in ASU’s Maroon vs. Gold scrimmage in Wells Fargo Arena on Saturday, August 24, 2019.

The Sun Devils start the season 3-0 after sweeping a three game series of Houston on Friday and LSU and Texas A&M-Corpus Christi on Saturday in the Flo Hyman Collegiate Cup.

Senior libero Courtney Leffel shined to start the campaign, collecting over 20 digs in all three matches. She also notched her 1,000th career dig and posted a new personal career-high in a single game against LSU, with 39 digs.

Junior outside hitter Claire Kovensky served as the offensive spark early in the three game set, scoring 19 kills against Houston and 14 more versus LSU.

Kovensky's partner, senior outside hitter Ivana Jeremic, was right behind her with a total of 32 kills in the three games. Newcomer Jada Burse made a strong first impression for the Sun Devils, scoring 26 total kills to start the year.

On Friday, the Sun Devils won their first game of the season against the Cougars in four sets (25-23, 23-25, 25-16, 25-21). 

ASU took the first set after erasing an early 6-0 deficit.

The Sun Devils had a strong start the second set, up 20-12 at one point. However, a late collapse allowed Houston to go on a 13-3 run and win the set.

But ASU kept Houston at bay for the remaining two sets to secure the match win.

LSU gave the Sun Devils their toughest test on Saturday, but ASU pulled out the win in five sets (25-27, 25-17, 20-25, 25-22, 15-7).

The two teams battled and traded wins through the first four sets, setting up a deciding fifth. A key 5-0 run from the Sun Devils put the Tigers away and gave ASU the chance to sweep the weekend against Texas A&M-Corpus Christi later that day.

The Sun Devils were able to do just that, taking the weekend finale in four sets (22-25, 25-15, 25-20, 25-15). After ASU dropped the first set by allowing a set-ending 6-0 run, the team captured three straight sets in convincing fashion.

ASU will look to keep its perfect record when it takes on Western Kentucky on Sept. 6 at 7:30 a.m. MST as part of the Fleur De Lis Tournament. 

Reach the reporter at jhorst2@asu.edu and follow @HorseySeven on Twitter.

Jeffrey HorstDigital editor-in-chief

Jeffrey Horst is the digital editor-in-chief of The State Press. He previously served as the publication's sports editor and worked at Cronkite News and ArizonaSports.com.

×