Police beat: ASU's September 2019 crime roundup

Violent crimes and theft increased from September 2018 to September 2019

ASUPD.jpg

A student passes the ASU Police Department on the Tempe campus on Monday, April 2, 2018. 

Crime across ASU's campuses during September 2019 increased compared to the same time last year, according to data released by the ASU Police Department. 

ASU Police maintains crime and fire logs, which date as far back as May 2010 and detail crime numbers on and near ASU's campuses by month.

Four Clery timely warnings were sent out in September 2019, two of which were sexual assault cases. Clery warnings are crime instances that occur within a defined boundary and pose a "serious or ongoing threat to the campus community," according to the ASU police website. The other two Clery warnings from last month were comprised of one instance of fondling and one robbery incident. 

While violent crimes and theft increased from September 2018 to September 2019, drug and alcohol-related crimes declined.

READ MORE: Clery Report: Crime across ASU decreased in 2018

Violent crimes

Across all campuses, ASU police reported a total of 16 cases of assault in September 2019, four of which consisted of sexual assault. 

This was an increase from the nine assault cases in September 2018. There was only one report of sexual abuse in September 2018.

READ MORE: Student-led proposal aims to improve support for sexual assault survivors on campus

Theft

Reported burglaries across all campuses for September increased from six instances in 2018 to nine instances in 2019. 

September also showed an increase in theft from 70 in 2018 to 87 in 2019. Bike theft remained constant, with 38 this year and 37 last September. 

READ MORE: ASU researchers help forge the path for biking in Tempe

Drug and alcohol-related crimes

Drug-related crimes were reported a total of 32 times in September 2018 and decreased to 24 instances in September 2019, which is a 25% decrease.

READ MORE: ASU is tobacco-free, but what about vaping?

Alcohol-related crimes, such as underage drinking and DUIs, decreased from 57 instances in September 2018 to 35 instances last month. 

The ASU Police Department encourages all community members to report crimes. Anonymous reporting is available through the ASU Hotline at 877-786-3385. 

ASU also makes counseling and other resources available for community members who are victims of sexual violence, domestic abuse or similar crimes. 

Reach the reporter at ivcrespo@asu.edu or follow @ziacrespo on Twitter. 

×