This weekend in events: fall break to-dos

The State Press looks at events on and off campus for Oct. 11-15

nextweek.jpeg

"Spark your calendars." Illustration published on Thursday, Oct. 25, 2018.     

From cultural events to citywide scavenger hunts, students who are staying close to campus for fall break can attend events both on and off campus to celebrate the long weekend.

Friday, Oct. 11: Salsa Social 

The Salsa Club at ASU is having a beginner salsa dancing class at 7 p.m. in the APMA building on ASU's Tempe campus.  The club hosts bi-weekly classes to encourage students to become a part of the dance community at ASU.

Friday, Oct. 11: National Coming Out Day Luncheon

The Downtown Phoenix campus is hosting a free luncheon to celebrate all LGBTQ+ people at ASU. The event will take place at the Student Center in the Post Office from 11:30 p.m. to 1:30 p.m.

Friday, Oct. 11: Pride Pool Party at West, Polytechnic and Tempe campuses.

Several campuses are celebrating OUT@ASU week with a pool party to support queer body positivity. The free event will take place from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. on the three campuses. 

Friday, Oct. 11: Jhankaar 2019

The Indian Students Association is hosting "an Evening in India" to celebrate the different cultures of India through musical, theatrical and dance performances. 

Read More: The ISA hosts 'Jhankaar,' exposing new people to India's vastness

Oct. 11-13: Four Peaks Oktoberfest 

Four Peaks Oktoberfest is back — bringing music, soccer games and beer tasting back at Tempe Town Lake for their annual event. While the event is free, an all-day carnival ticket costs $30 in order to access rides and certain events. 

Oct 12-13: Arizona Taco Festival

From a Chihuahua Pageant to Margarita Wars, the Arizona Taco Festival will be at WestWorld of Scottsdale. General admission tickets start at $7.50. The event will take place on Saturday and Sunday from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Monday, Oct. 14: One Team Scavenger Hunt Adventure: Downtown Phoenix

Puzzling Adventures invites teams of any size to sign up for a scavenger hunt throughout downtown Phoenix. The race is done at a group's own pace to explore downtown Phoenix at any point of the day. There is a discount for the tickets through eventbrite for $15.

Tuesday, Oct. 15: Social - Glow Cycle

Project Sunshine at ASU is hosting a free cycling class at the Tempe Sun Devil Fitness Complex at 6:00 p.m. The event encourages student volunteers to meet each other at this free workout class.

Reach the reporter at eborst@asu.edu and follow @ellieeborstt on Twitter.

Ellie BorstExecutive Editor 2021-22

Ellie Borst is the executive editor of The State Press, overseeing the publication and its four departments: online, magazine, multimedia and engagement. She plans to graduate in May 2022 with her master's in legal studies and got her bachelor's in journalism in 2021. Previous roles she has held since joining SP in 2018 include digital managing editor, magazine managing editor, community and culture desk editor, and arts and culture reporter.

×