Get spooky this Halloween with ASU Film Association's Horror Film Festival

The festival will feature horror films by ASU students and hand out awards

bueno_toshner_10292019_horrorfilmfestival.jpg

"The ASU Film Association will be hosting a horror film festival." Illustration published on Tuesday, Oct. 29, 2019.

The ASU Film Association is hosting a horror film festival and competition on Wednesday night in honor of Halloween.

The films in the competition are up to five minutes long, said Nick Johnson, a senior majoring in film and the vice president of AFA, and the association will hand out the audience choice award to a submitted film. The festival will take place on Oct. 30 at 7:30 p.m. at Design North.

He said the association puts on multiple festivals during the year but especially enjoys how unique this one is. 

"This is one we really enjoy because it gives students an opportunity to try something different," Johnson said. "You don't usually get an opportunity to make horror related content when you're at ASU, so I know a lot of people that have submitted films really enjoy the opportunity to be able to try something different."

Ian Erlandson, a junior majoring in film and the producer for AFA, said the goal of the association is to bring filmmakers together and collaborate with one another while showcasing their projects.  

Erlandson said the association wants to use the festival as a community platform for filmmakers.

"The film department can be very fragmented and kind of broken up, so we're trying to be one place where everybody can come together and meet people and build a better family among all the community within Herberger," he said.

Erlandson said he's excited to see all of the films that were submitted.

"As film students, we're all passionate about making films and watching them, so I think it's way more fun to bring everybody together and get to meet everyone, and see what kind of works they've created," he said. 

Tanner Charnstrom, a junior majoring in film, submitted a film called "Broken Summer" to the festival. 

"Horror films are definitely very different because you're not just trying to tell a story, you're trying to tell a story and do it in a frightening way," Charnstrom said. "You are trying to scare people, so you have to be smart with all the decisions you make." 

While he knows horror isn't for everyone, Johnson said he encourages anyone interested in film to come out to the festival or future festivals the association hosts.

"If you're interested in film at all or perhaps interested in film you don't even have to be a filmmaker yourself and just love to watch films, and have a passion about film, then we would love to have you there," Johnson said. 

Reach the reporter at bstoshne@asu.edu and follow @itsbrennaaaa on Twitter. 

×