News moves fast. Keep up with national, state and local political happenings with this week's politics roundup from The State Press. 

It has been a busy month for politics on and off campus. Here's a brief overview of what's been making news.

Barbara Barrett nominated as Secretary of the Air Force

ASU alumna Barbara Barrett was confirmed by the U.S. Senate Oct. 16 to be the next Secretary of the Air Force. 

Barrett has three degrees from ASU, and she and her husband Craig are the namesakes for Barrett, The Honors College.

Barrett will be the fourth woman out of 25 people who have held the position.

Read the story by John Adamson here.

ASU's innovation chief testifies before Senate subcommittee on innovation

Sethuraman "Panch" Panchanathan, executive vice president and chief research and innovation officer at ASU, testified before a U.S. Senate subcommittee about the importance of innovation in relation to the future of the United States.

Panchanathan was introduced by Democratic Sen. Kyrsten Sinema, as a "friend and distinguished Arizonan."

He discussed the role innovation plays in American competitiveness and highlighted ASU's history of being at the forefront of innovation.

Read the story by Carrera Christman here.

USGW has not updated nearly any platforms in a year

Undergraduate Student Government West has not updated its website, bylaws or meeting and member information since last year. The only up-to-date platform it has is Instagram

USGW's President, Tony Camisi, said the lack of information will be fixed once all USGW positions are filled.

Read the story by Nellie Nano here.

USGT passes resolution to recognize Indigenous women

Undergraduate Student Government Tempe held a meeting Tuesday where it passed a resolution to formally recognize the epidemic of missing and murdered indigenous women and girls, Two Spirit and transgender individuals. 

The resolution serves as USGT's version of House Bill 2570, which was passed in May by the Arizona Legislature.

Read the story by John Adamson here.

Reach the reporter at sstewa21@asu.edu and follow @savvystew on Twitter. 

×