News moves fast. Keep up with national, state and local political happenings with this week's politics roundup from The State Press. 

Fall break is over, but politics on and off campus haven't stopped for anyone. Here are some of the top stories from The State Press' politics desk in the last few weeks.

Kurt Volker resigns as US diplomat, McCain Institute head

Kurt Volker, then-executive director of the McCain Institute, resigned from his position as U.S. special envoy at the end of September amidst reports that he collaborated with President Donald Trump and Ukraine.

Volker's name was included in the whistleblower complaint, a document that sparked the impeachment inquiry into President Trump.

LISTEN HERE: Behind the Press: The power of student journalism

Following the controversy surrounding the whistleblower complaint, Volker resigned from his position at the McCain Institute as well. ASU President Michael Crow appointed Nicholas Rasmussen as acting director.

Read more in this story by Andrew Howard and this story by Howard and Adrienne Dunn.

USGT hasn't updated bylaws to include current amendments

University Student Government Tempe has yet to update its bylaws to reflect current amendments that were passed last year. Some of the missing updates include standards for the Senate voting procedures and an outline for impeachment proceedings.

Read the story by Kiara Quaranta here

CRU host controversial speaker Carl Goldberg

College Republicans United at ASU hosted an event on campus titled "A Conversation With Islam," with Carl Goldberg, a controversial anti-Islam speaker and Omar Tawil, an assistant imam at the Islamic Community Center of Tempe.

While the event went smoothly, some students disagreed with CRU's decision to hold a discussion with someone notorious for Islamophobia.

Read more in this story by Kiara Quaranta.

ASU students protest climate change on Tempe campus

Students marched through ASU's Tempe campus in protest against climate change inaction in late September. The protest was led by Young Democrat Socialists of America at ASU but drew members from other organizations such as Arizona Youth Climate Strike, the Phoenix Sunrise Movement and Sen. Juan Mendez, D-Tempe.

Read about what these students asked ASU to do in this story by Kiara Quaranta.

Reach the reporter at sstewa21@asu.edu and follow @savvystew on Twitter. 

×