USGP partners with local businesses to offer student discounts and services

USGP is offering various services to benefit students on ASU's Polytechnic campus

FiredPieSign.jpg

The exterior of Fired Pie pictured on Monday, Oct. 28, 2019 at the San Tan Village shopping mall in Gilbert, Arizona.

Undergraduate Student Government Polytechnic has created a multitude of resources for students on the Polytechnic campus, including rideshare discounts, free printing and wellness supplies. 

USGP President Daniel Pasco, a senior studying professional flight, said in an email that he is passionate about USGP staying focused on the campus's students and helping them in any way they can. 

“We directly operate four services within our student government office in the student union,” Pasco said. “We do outreach activities daily outside of our office. We regularly rotate locations and times in an effort to reach out to all students and meet them where they are on campus.” 

USGP has found many amenities to help Poly students, Pasco said. The members have set dates for Tabling Tuesdays, and they provide free green books, scantrons and printing to students. They are also working with businesses within a 5-mile radius of the Poly campus to offer discounts specific to ASU students. 

Pasco said the number of services USGP provides has doubled in recent years. 

“This requires a lot of management but it is very rewarding when students see that we try to give them the resources they need to be successful and self-actualize during their time at ASU,” said Pasco.

This year they have partnered with four businesses near the Polytechnic campus, all offering 10% off for ASU students. These discounts are offered at Zella’s Pizza & Cheesesteaks, Thai Chili 2 Go, Rusty Taco, and Fired Pie.

Isaac Touchton, a supervisor at the Fired Pie located just 10 minutes from the Polytechnic campus, said that he has seen many ASU students utilize the discount.

"Most of the college students that come in, we usually know that they're going to ask for the discount," Touchton said. "It's cool for them and still profitable for us."

There is no binding contract with these local businesses and USGP is planning on adding more restaurants throughout the year, Pasco said. 

Trevor Monroe, a junior studying professional flight, said that word of mouth is an easy way to stay aware of what is happening on a small campus.

"They're doing their best to look out for us and to get involved with the students," Monroe said. 

In regards to the discounts offered, Monroe said that he has never used them but it is something he knew about. 

"I haven’t gone to a place to use that discount (because) I haven't had the time," Monroe said. "If I do end up going out, I will definitely use it."

Monroe appreciates the Lyft codes given out by USGP and how there is free food on campus multiple times a week.

Gabriella Pilorin, a junior studying business administration, said she has not used the specific discount service, nor has she heard much about it.

Still, she stays updated with USGP by following their Instagram page and by visiting them during Tabling Tuesdays.  

"(They) have two (services) that I like," Pilorin said. "I like their printing service; it's really easy to print stuff in color or black white and they have multiple computers to use, so you can always find one to use." 

Pilorin said she also likes the health cart USGP provides, as they supply beauty and health products for students including chapstick, tampons, sunscreen, deodorant and other wellness products. 

Pasco said that while USGP has received good feedback about the amenities, there is always work to be done to ensure all students know they exist. 

Reach the reporter at nnano@asu.edu and follow @halentinos on Twitter.

×