ASU volleyball snaps losing streak with comeback over No. 21 Washington State

The Sun Devil offense came alive late and hit 37% in the final two sets

DSC_3739.JPG

ASU women's volleyball team huddles before its Maroon vs. Gold team scrimmage in Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe, Arizona, ​on Saturday, Aug. 24, 2019.

ASU volleyball's (11-8) offense came alive late in its match Sunday, fueling a comeback from two sets down to upset to No. 21 Washington State in five sets on the road (19-25, 17-25, 25-20, 25-22, 15-12). 

Freshman outside hitter Iman Isanovic led the Sun Devils in the effort with a career-high 20 kills. 

Senior outside hitter Jada Burse and junior outside hitter Andrea Mitrovic chipped in 16 and 12 kills respectively for ASU. 

The Sun Devils were unable to keep up with a Cougars team that put together three separate runs of 3-0 or greater in the first set. A 4-0 run gave WSU a 20-14 cushion to put the nail in ASU's coffin in the first set.

The second set saw a similar output as the first, as Washington State again used runs of 4-0 and 5-0 to push past ASU to win the point, including an 8-1 run to finish the set. ASU hit just 20% in the second set.

Both teams played a tight third set up until 19-19, but the Sun Devils put together a 5-0 run to take them to set point, eventually winning the set two serves later.

ASU was down by as much as six late in the fourth set, but the team went on a 13-4 run to stay alive. The set was capped off by a 5-0 run with four of those points coming from Isanovic.

The Sun Devils used a crucial 4-0 run to get ahead in the fifth set 9-6, and kept that lead to finish off the comeback.This is their first win over a ranked opponent in the 2019 season.

ASU will take on Oregon next in Tempe on Oct. 25 at 7 p.m. MST.

Reach the reporter at jhorst2@asu.edu and follow @HorseySeven on Twitter.

Jeffrey HorstDigital editor-in-chief

Jeffrey Horst is the digital editor-in-chief of The State Press. He previously served as the publication's sports editor and worked at Cronkite News and ArizonaSports.com.

×