Sluggish start dooms ASU soccer against Oregon State

The Sun Devils remained winless in Pac-12 play after Thursday's loss

ASU Soccer vs Oregon State-25.jpg
ASU Senior forward/midfielder Christina Edwards (#2) heads the ball in their 3-1 loss to Oregon State at Sun Devil Soccer Stadium Thursday, Oct. 24, 2019 in Tempe, Arizona.

ASU soccer (6-7-3, 0-5-2 Pac-12) remained winless in conference play, losing 3-1 to Oregon State (10-3-2, 2-3-2) on a windy Thursday night in Tempe.

The Sun Devils got off to another sluggish start. Oregon State dominated the field position game for the majority of the first half, as most of the game’s action took place on the Oregon State attacking half. 

The Beavers entered halftime with a decisive 2-0 lead. 

Oregon State added on in the 70th minute with yet another goal to put ASU in an insurmountable 3-0 hole.

Following that goal, the Sun Devils were finally able to put the ball in the back of the net in the 82nd minute when freshman midfielder Dai Williams scored in her second consecutive game for her fifth goal of the year. 

Unfortunately for ASU, the goal was too little too late.

Head coach Graham Winkworth was disappointed with his team’s effort, especially out of the gate.

“We didn’t win enough challenges; we were soft in the tackle," he said. "That’s not technique, that’s not skill, that’s passion and heart. We’ve got to work harder. The game isn’t 15 minutes long, it’s 90.”

In addition to wanting more effort, Winkworth also noted the team’s inability to make the easy play.

“Soccer needs to be simple and we are trying to complicate it by doing too much," he said.

ASU will have a great opportunity to get its first Pac-12 win in the final home game of the year against Oregon (4-6-5, 0-5-2) on Sunday Oct. 27 at 12 p.m. MST. Oregon is tied with ASU at the bottom of the Pac-12 standings. 

The match will have some extra meaning for ASU as its seniors will play their last match at Sun Devil Soccer Stadium.

Winkworth said the rest of the team should come out with an extra sense of pride in order to send off the seniors in the right way.

“There is an additional motivation to honor these young ladies who have served the program so well with a proper performance with some heart, passion and some grit,” he said.

Reach the reporter at ltochter@asu.edu and follow @Leo_Toch on Twitter.

×