The Field connection: How Mike Field helped shape the ASU hockey program

The former USHL assistant coach adds immense value to a Sun Devil team with lots of talent and potential

_20191008 Hockey practice 0275.jpg

Associate head coach Mike Field watches the team run drills during practice on Tuesday, Oct. 8, 2019, at Oceanside Ice Arena in Tempe, Arizona.

In the town of Dubuque, Iowa lies the Mystique Community Ice Center, home to the Dubuque Fighting Saints of the United States Hockey League (USHL).

There, in that arena, several members of the Sun Devil hockey program made a name for themselves.

It's also where ASU assistant coach Mike Field became a hot commodity in the sport's coaching ranks.

Field, an alumnus of the famed Shattuck-St. Mary’s School in Minnesota, joined the Fighting Saints’ coaching staff in 2012 as an assistant under current Dallas Stars’ head coach Jim Montgomery.

Before that, Field served as an assistant coach and recruiting coordinator for American International College, his alma mater.

The Fighting Saints captured the Clark Cup as the USHL champions in 2012-13, Field's first season with the team. In his three years with the organization, he was also the director of scouting, and his eye for talent helped produce nine NHL draft picks.

“It was great,” Field said of his time with the Fighting Saints. “There are so many good coaches that come through there, you play so many games, you really get to see the ways that people have success.”

In fact, his success helped land him a unique opportunity to join a new Division I coaching staff with ASU in 2015.

“The biggest draw for me was definitely the fact that we were building a program from scratch,” Field said. “It’s a once in a lifetime opportunity that doesn’t come around very often so getting the chance to step in and see if we can do some good things ... that was really exciting and unique.”

With Field’s arrival at ASU, so came his departure from Dubuque, leaving behind a substantial void within the organization. But, his influence helped set Dubuque up for success for years to come.

“A lot of the players that he drafted carried over to the new staff,” Dubuque general manager Kalle Larsson said. “Some of the young prospects that he set up in the pipeline were already in place when the new staff came, and they’ve obviously had a big impact on our success even after Mike left.”

Larsson, who was promoted to general manager in May 2017, has seen firsthand how effective Field’s knowledge and presence can be for a hockey program.

“Identifying talent and being able to recruit good players is a very important thing for any hockey team at any level, and Mike has a track record of doing just that," he said. "I think his value to ASU is extremely high.”

It's safe to say that Field is a very important asset to the Sun Devil program, and when he arrived in Tempe, he brought his recruiting and coaching skillsets with him.

A simple glance at the roster is proof of that. This season alone, there are four former Dubuque players on the Sun Devils’ roster: Joshua Maniscalco, William Knierim, James Sanchez and Jacob Semik.

Associate coach Mike Field addresses the team during practice on Tuesday, Oct. 8, 2019, at Oceanside Ice Arena in Tempe, Arizona.

Maniscalco, a sophomore defenseman, has been greatly influenced by Field throughout his hockey career.

“(Coach) Field helps a lot with the defensive side of my game which is where I personally think I need a lot of work so he always harps on me to stick to little details,” he said. “I’d say he’s had a really positive impact on my hockey career.” 

Knierim’s experiences with Field are similar. Knierim played for Dubuque from 2014-2016 before going to Miami University (Ohio) for two seasons.

However, after returning to Dubuque for the 2018-19 season, he ultimately found himself at ASU this fall.

“I think it’s pretty safe to say that I wouldn’t be where I am today (ASU), but also in hockey in general if it wasn’t for (Field),” Knierim said. “I loved playing for him (at Dubuque). It was a shame that it was only one year, but obviously I am very happy that he had the opportunity to move on.”

Field’s personal effect on the locker room stretches beyond just the former Dubuque players. In recruiting and coaching, he believes coaches' personal relationships with players are a vital component to success during the season.

“Really it’s our whole staff," Field said. "We do everything together. It’s all of us getting out and watching a player, identifying him as someone we all like. We really try to make sure everyone is involved because all three guys are going to be coaching that kid once they get here so we want that player to be comfortable with the whole staff.”

When Field and the rest of the coaching staff are recruiting, they know what they’re looking for. For Field, it’s not about finding a player to fit a certain mold, but a player that can add his individual value to an already talented program.

“We don’t get too caught up in ‘you have to be a certain height, size, you have to be able to skate a certain way’ or any of that kind of stuff,” Field said. “It’s more so we try to focus on what a player does really well and then ... we recruit them and that’s what he’s here for.”

Field’s value as a coach and active scouter has flourished in his transition to the NCAA. Now, the Sun Devil hockey program reaps the rewards of having him on its coaching staff.

From a USHL program along the Mississippi River to an NCAA program in the desert, Field leaves his mark on every aspect of the program he helps lead.

“One of the things I always (take) from him was something about (his) character,” Maniscalco said. “He just brings in good people, and I really respect it and I really saw it with the team I had in Dubuque and the teammates I have here. It really holds true. It’s pretty special what he does and how he approaches it.” 

Reach the reporter at aklatsky@asu.edu and follow @averyklatsky on Twitter. 

×