Police beat: ASU's October 2019 crime roundup

There was a decrease in reported crime from October 2018 to October 2019

ASUPD.jpg

A student passes the ASU Police Department on the Tempe campus on Monday, April 2, 2018. 

Crime across ASU's campuses during October 2019 decreased when compared to the same month last year, according to data released by the ASU Police Department. 

ASU police maintains crime and fire logs, which date as far back as May 2010 and detail crime numbers on and near ASU's campuses by month.

Three Clery timely warnings were sent out in October 2019, two of which were sexual assault-related cases. Clery warnings are crime instances that occur within a defined boundary and pose a "serious or ongoing threat to the campus community," according to the ASU PD website. 

The third Clery warning from last month was an aggravated assault case near the Downtown Phoenix campus. 

READ MORE: Aggravated assault involving a gun takes place near ASU's Downtown campus

Violent crimes

Across all campuses, ASU police reported a total of 13 cases of assault in both October 2018 and 2019. 

There was an increase in sexual abuse and sexual assault reported crimes, from three instances in October 2018 to five instances in October 2019.

Theft

Reported burglaries across all campuses for October decreased from six instances in 2018 to three instances in 2019. 

There was a substantial decrease in reported theft crimes, from 97 instances in October 2018 to 74 instances in October 2019. Reported bicycle theft decreased by nearly half, from 63 reported instances in October 2018 to 42 reported instances in October 2019.

Drug and alcohol-related crimes

Drug-related crimes remained constant with 29 reported instances in both October 2018 and October 2019.

Alcohol-related crimes, such as underage drinking and DUIs, decreased from 23 instances in October 2018 to 14 instances last month. 

Notable crimes

There was a substantial decrease in overall reported crimes on Halloween. There were 15 reported instances on the holiday in 2018, but only five reported instances on the holiday in 2019.

There was an almost 15% decrease in crimes for the month of October comparatively, decreasing from 228 crimes in 2018 to 195 crimes in 2019.

READ MORE: Clery Report: Crime across ASU decreased in 2018

The ASU Police Department encourages all community members to report crimes. Anonymous reporting is available through the ASU Hotline at 877-786-3385. 

ASU also makes counseling and other resources available for community members who are victims of sexual violence, domestic abuse or similar crimes. 

Reach the reporter at eborst@asu.edu and follow @ellieeborstt on Twitter.

Ellie BorstExecutive Editor 2021-22

Ellie Borst is the executive editor of The State Press, overseeing the publication and its four departments: online, magazine, multimedia and engagement. She plans to graduate in May 2022 with her master's in legal studies and got her bachelor's in journalism in 2021. Previous roles she has held since joining SP in 2018 include digital managing editor, magazine managing editor, community and culture desk editor, and arts and culture reporter.

×