After Hours: Who is Jason Zuffranieri, 19-time 'Jeopardy!' champion?

ASU alumnus Jason Zuffranieri joins 'Jeopardy!' Hall of Fame with 19-win run

For Jason Zuffranieri, trivia has been part of his life for as long as he can remember. From Academic Bowl as a teenager to the nationally ranking Quizbowl team at ASU, his passion has always been trivia. 

“It’s something I’ve always enjoyed and frankly been good at…It’s been in my blood,” Zuffranieri said on a phone call on Tuesday.  

These wins are a long time coming. Starting in high school, Zuffranieri said he has been trying out for "Jeopardy!" his whole life, and after nine attempts, he finally made it. 

“I improved from failing the tests to failing the interviews to finally getting the call,” he said. 

Now the third-highest money winner in "Jeopardy!" history, Zuffranieri credits both his extensive individual preparation and the support of the trivia community for his success. From moral support, advice from past contestants and even in-depth training from "Jeopardy!" legend, Roger Craig, Zuffranieri felt that he had a whole team rooting for him.

If given the opportunity to return to the game in the Tournament of Champions next year, Zuffranieri said he would absolutely do it all again. 

“Once you’ve tasted the fruit from the 'Jeopardy!' tree, I don’t think there’s any going back,” he said.  

Previous episode(s):

State Press Play: Downtown disconnect 

After Hours: Raising LGBTQ voices

Reach the reporter at kourada@asu.edu and follow @KateOurada on Twitter. 

Like State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on Twitter. 

Get the best of State Press delivered straight to your inbox.

×

This website uses cookies to make your expierence better and easier. By using this website you consent to our use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie Policy.