ASU men's basketball lets potential upset slip away in 48-45 loss to No. 7 Virginia

Despite a 19-0 run, the Sun Devils were unable to escape with a win over the defending national champions

Men'sBasketballHeader.jpg

ASU redshirt senior guard, Rob Edwards (2), prepares for the Sun Devils’ matchup versus Rider University at Desert Financial Arena in Tempe, Arizona on Sunday, Nov. 17, 2019.

ASU men's basketball (3-2) let a potential upset of the reigning national champions slip away as the score fell 48-45 to No. 7 Virginia on Sunday.

Junior guard Remy Martin paced the Sun Devils with 21 points and three assists.

Redshirt junior forward Romello White posted ten points and three rebounds for ASU.

The Sun Devils came out of the gates slow, hitting just four of their first 19 shots against the vaunted Cavalier defense. They ended the first half shooting just under 32% from the field.

Virginia shot 45.8% from the field and 44.4% from three-point range in the first half but committed eight turnovers, which limited its scoring opportunities.

ASU then caught fire as the team scored 14 straight points to begin the second half and built a nine-point lead. 

After missing their first seven shots to begin the half, the Cavaliers answered with a 10-3 run to tie the game. 

The two teams wrestled with the lead for the final four minutes of the game, with the lead changing four times in that span. Virginia freshman guard Casey Morsell hit a three-pointer to put UVA up by three with just over a minute remaining.

A potential game-tying three-pointer from redshirt senior guard Rob Edwards fell short of the rim to end the game. 

Next, ASU will take on Princeton on Tuesday, Nov. 26 at 5:00 p.m. MST.

Reach the reporter at jhorst2@asu.edu and follow @HorseySeven on Twitter.

Jeffrey HorstDigital editor-in-chief

Jeffrey Horst is the digital editor-in-chief of The State Press. He previously served as the publication's sports editor and worked at Cronkite News and ArizonaSports.com.

×