ASU volleyball beats OSU and Oregon to snap losing streak

Sun Devils break a four-game skid after defeating Oregon schools

ASU Volleyball vs Cal-48.jpg
ASU Junior outside hitter Andrea Mitrovic (16) spikes the ball in their 3-2 loss to Cal Sunday, Nov 10, 2019 at Desert Financial Arena in Tempe, Arizona.

ASU snapped their losing streak after beating Oregon State on Friday, 3-2 and Oregon on Sunday afternoon, 3-2.

Friday:

ASU defeated Oregon State in a grueling five-set match Friday night, snapping a four-game losing streak.

The Sun Devils swept the season series against the Beavers for the first time since 2013. Three players had double-doubles and four reached double digits in kills.

Junior Claire Kovensky led the way with 15 kills and a season-high 13 digs, notching her first double-double since November 2018. Senior Ivana Jeremic got her 999th career kill for ASU. 

Freshman Kennedi Boyd had seven blocks, tying her season-high. Boyd’s seven kills and 14 points were also season highs. 

ASU was down 2-1 in three very close sets, but the team rallied and won the next two sets to take the match.  This match was the eighth to go to five sets for the Sun Devils this season. It’s the most since 2014 when ASU played in 14 five-set matches. 

Sunday:

ASU defeated Oregon in an intense, gritty 3-2 win Sunday afternoon. 

Freshman Iman Isanovic led the Sun Devils with 19 kills, her second-highest total of the season. Senior Courtney Leffel leads the team in digs with 27, which is her second-highest total of the season. 

Kovensky, Jeremic, Leffel, and senior Callie Jones all had double-doubles. 

Jeremic got her 1,000th career kill for ASU and racked up 16 kills, 14 digs and five blocks.

But ASU fell behind 2-1 in the first three sets and were on the ropes. Like their Friday match against Oregon State, the Sun Devils faced great adversity and were up to the challenge. 

They claimed victory 3-2 after a tough battle in the last two sets. 

ASU improves to 15-12 on the season and 7-9 in the Pac-12. They play Washington State next at home on Nov. 21. 

Reach the reporter at cvanligt@asu.edu and follow @Connor_VL on Twitter. 

×