ASU volleyball overwhelmed by Colorado offense in sweep

Colorado killed over 40% in the match

ASU Volleyball vs Oregon State-3.jpg
ASU Junior outside hitter Claire Kovensky (7) spikes the ball in their 3-0 win over Oregon State Sunday, Oct. 27, 2019 at Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe, Arizona.

Colorado's hot offense overwhelmed ASU volleyball (13-10) in a sweep Sunday afternoon, winning 14-25, 17-25 and 23-25 in the match.

Freshman outside hitter Iman Isanovic led the Sun Devils with nine kills while senior outside hitter Ivana Jeremic provided eight kills. 

Colorado redshirt sophomore middle blocker Meegan Hart scored 11 kills on 16 attempts. Freshman outside hitter Elissa Alcantara and senior outside hitter Justine Spann provided seven kills each for the Buffaloes.

The first set slipped away from the Sun Devils early, as they gave up three runs of 3-0 or greater, including a 6-0 run to give the Buffaloes an 11-point lead. The Buffaloes maintained the lead throughout to win the first point.

The second set played out similar to the first. ASU surrendered a 5-0 and 6-0 burst, respectively. The runs left ASU with too many points to overcome and Colorado took the second point.

The Sun Devils fell behind early in the third set, but responded with runs of 4-0 and 6-0 to take a 15-13 lead. The teams traded points until 20-20, but Colorado took advantage of two attack errors from ASU to complete the sweep.

Colorado killed over 40% in the match, including 47% in the first set. ASU only killed at a 32% clip and hit only 14% in the match.

ASU will play Stanford Thursday, Nov. 7 at 7:00 p.m. MST in Tempe for the team's next matchup. 

Reach the reporter at jhorst2@asu.edu and follow @HorseySeven on Twitter.

Jeffrey HorstDigital editor-in-chief

Jeffrey Horst is the digital editor-in-chief of The State Press. He previously served as the publication's sports editor and worked at Cronkite News and ArizonaSports.com.

×