Dominating defense fuels ASU men's basketball to blowout win over Rider

The team forced 29 turnovers, the most in Bobby Hurley's tenure

bballvsRiderheader.jpg

ASU freshman forward Jalen Graham (24) contests a shot during the Sun Devils' 92-55 victory over Rider University in Desert Financial Arena in Tempe, Arizona on Sunday, Nov. 17, 2019.

A record-setting 29 forced turnovers from ASU men's basketball (2-1) propelled them to a 92-55 blowout win over Rider on Sunday afternoon.

Junior guard Remy Martin finished with 20 points, three assists and four steals for the Sun Devils.

Freshman guard Jaelen House provided 20 points and five rebounds for ASU. 

After a slow start where the Sun Devils shot just 3-15, their offense picked up steam, shooting 56% for the remainder of the half. This included a 17-2 run over a four minute stretch. 

ASU had no trouble causing problems for Rider, forcing 16 turnovers in the first half. The Broncos shot just 37% in the first 20 minutes of play.

The Sun Devils kept up the pressure in the second half, forcing another 13 turnovers. The Broncos only shot 39% in the second half while the Sun Devils shot 43%.

Rider finished with more turnovers than made shots for the game.

The 29 forced turnovers were the most in head coach Bobby Hurley's tenure for the Sun Devils, with the next largest being 26 against Longwood in 2017. It was the most the Sun Devils have forced in a game since 2009, said a sports information director.

Hurley noted the turnovers were key to fuel their offense after starting out slow.

"It enables the ability to really rattle your opponent," Hurley said. "We were able to score in bunches when we got those live-ball turnovers."

Martin credited the bench unit for beginning the storm of turnovers. 

"Guys like Jaelen House, guys like Elias (Valtonen), Taeshon (Cherry), they came in and gave us energy," Martin said. "They picked us up on defense and we started going." 

ASU will take on St. John's in a rematch of last year's NCAA tournament game on Nov. 23 at 12:30 p.m. MST. 

Reach the reporter at jhorst2@asu.edu and follow @HorseySeven on Twitter.

Jeffrey HorstDigital editor-in-chief

Jeffrey Horst is the digital editor-in-chief of The State Press. He previously served as the publication's sports editor and worked at Cronkite News and ArizonaSports.com.

×