Recap: Daniels shines in ASU football's 31-28 upset win over No. 6 Oregon

Freshman quarterback Jayden Daniels threw for a career-high 408 yards to lift the Sun Devils over the Ducks

StockHeader.jpg

ASU freshman quarterback Jayden Daniels (5) celebrates his game-winning run with his teammates as the Sun Devil's beat the Washington State Cougars 38-34 at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe, Arizona on Saturday, Oct. 12, 2019.

The ASU football team snapped its four-game losing streak Saturday night in Tempe with a 31-28 upset victory over No. 6 Oregon to earn bowl eligibility.

After ASU led 13-7 through three quarters, the teams combined for 39 fourth quarter points.

ASU quarterback Jayden Daniels outshined potential No. 1 NFL Draft pick and Oregon quarterback Justin Herbert, as the freshman threw for a career-high 408 passing yards and three touchdowns.

Herbert finished with 304 yards, two touchdowns and two interceptions.

The game-winning score came with 3:54 remaining when senior wide receiver Brandon Aiyuk hauled in an 81-yard touchdown pass from Daniels. 

Daniels was efficient in the first half, completing his first 12 passes, including a 57-yard touchdown strike to redshirt junior wide receiver Frank Darby.

The pair connected again early in the fourth quarter on a 26-yard scoring strike.

Junior running back Eno Benjamin compiled 168 scrimmage yards and the Sun Devils also received a boost from redshirt sophomore kicker Cristian Zendejas, who hit three field goals.

Now 6-5, ASU will host Arizona in the Territorial Cup Saturday Nov. 30 in Tempe at 8:00 p.m. MST.

Reach the reporter at kmgianco@asu.edu and follow @Kaleb_Mart on Twitter.

×