Video: The ASU Bee Lab produces more than just honey

What is ASU doing to save the bees?

ASU-Bee-Lab-Cahit
ASU Bee Lab Manager Cahit Ozturk opens a bee hive. Nov. 4, 2019

Arizona State University's Bee Lab does more to save the bees than just research. 

Research teams use the lab's approximately 100 hives to investigate various causes behind the declining bee population. This past winter alone, bee keepers have reported 40% to 50% decline in their hive populations, requiring bees all the way from Florida to be used in the annual pollination of California's $5 billion almond industry. The lab provides beekeeping courses taught by Cahit Ozturk, who manages the hives at the ASU Bee Lab, to help foster new beekeepers to take care of the bees for future generations.

Ozturk has been a beekeeper for about 30 years and assists researchers by providing them bee material. The labs research covers pesticides, as well as other factors in bee population decline such as disease and genetic factors. If bee losses continue, crops that require large amounts of pollinators will suffer. 

Zach Van ArsdalePrevious Multimedia Director

Zach Van Arsdale was the head of the multimedia department from August 2020 to May 2022, shaping design and multimedia storytelling at The State Press in addition to designing article experiences, illustrations and taking photographs. He has previously worked for The Howard Center of Investigative Journalism and on the Carnegie-Knight News21 project: "Unmasking America."

×