Police beat: ASU's November 2019 crime roundup

In November, there have been fewer reported crimes on ASU’s campuses compared with October

ASUPD.jpg

A student passes the ASU Police Department on the Tempe campus on Monday, April 2, 2018. 

As the semester slowly comes to an end, it’s time for another monthly roundup of crime on ASU’s campuses.  

Overall, crime was mostly down in the month of November compared with October's numbers. However, when comparing crime in November 2019 to 2018, there was an overall increase in reported crimes in terms of thefts and alcohol-related instances in the following year.

No Clery timely warnings were sent out in November, making it the first month of the Fall 2019 semester one hasn’t been released. Clery warnings are crime instances that occur within a defined boundary and pose a "serious or ongoing threat to the campus community," according to the ASU PD website. 

Violent crimes

In November 2019 there have been 11 reported cases of assault so far, an increase from the nine reported cases from November last year. 

Last month, there were four reported instances of sexual assault on ASU campuses. Three were reported in dormitories, and one was reported at the Student Union. This is one less reported case compared with October, where there were five reported cases of sexual assault. 

However, there was an increase in the month of November in reported cases of sexual assault compared with the three in 2018.

Theft

On all ASU campuses, reported burglaries increased in the month of November compared to last year, with eight reported so far and 10 reported cases in 2018.

In November 2019, there has been 51 reported thefts so far — an increase from the 63 reported instances in November 2018. 

For cases of bike theft — November 2018 had 24 cases and 2019 has had 22 reported cases. Both years combined make up just over the reported 43 bicycle theft cases in October 2019. There has been almost a 50% decrease in bike thefts from October 2018 so far when compared with October and November 2019.  

Overall, there has been a decrease in burglary and theft cases in November 2019 compared to the month before and the year before. 

Alcohol-related crimes

In November 2019, there were 43 cases of minors reported for being under the influence of alcohol and seven drunken driving cases. 

This is one less than the eight DUI cases in October 2019, but shows an increase in MIC cases compared with the 23 MIC cases reported in October. In November 2018 there were 15 MIC cases. 

Read last month's full ASU crime roundup here

Editor's Note: All statistics are reflective of the ASU PD crime logs at the time of publication. However, since the logs are always active, numbers in the logs might change over time.

Reach the reporter at jlmyer10@asu.edu or follow @jessiemy94 on Twitter. 

×