ASU men's basketball defeats Prairie View 88-79, extends win streak to four

The Sun Devils held their lead through the second half to secure a win

The Sun Devil basketball team (7-2) defeated the Prairie View A&M Panthers by a score of 88-79 on Wednesday night at Desert Financial Arena to increase their win streak to four games in a row.

Despite only winning by single digits, the Sun Devils battled through seven first-half lead changes and were able to escape in the second half to win their seventh game of the 2019-20 season. After going into the half with a 43-36 lead, the Sun Devils did not give up their advantage for the rest of the game.

“(I have) complete respect (for) Prairie View,” head coach Bobby Hurley said. “Their coaching staff, how they get their team ready…I’ve been telling the guys as much as I’ve talked about offense, we better be prepared to play 40 minute games. They don’t give in, they don’t give up, they’re really well-coached.”

The game featured 84 free throws and 57 fouls called in the game, with the Sun Devils going 21-33 from the line while the Panthers were 37-51 from the charity stripe.

“They play hard,” Hurley said of the game’s physicality. “They’re very physical, they’re aggressive in the way they defend, there were a lot of fouls…they might’ve fouled us more than we got fouled.”

Sun Devil junior guards Remy Martin and Alonzo Verge Jr. led ASU in scoring on the night, with 21 and 20 points, respectively.

Verge added a lot of firepower to the Sun Devils’ offense coming off the bench and was able to help contribute to the victory in a large way.

“I just tried to let the game come to me,” Verge said. “Whenever I could produce, I did. My teammates did a good job of getting me the ball and just believing in me.”

In addition to his 20 point performance, Verge finished the night with four rebounds and two assists and shot 50% from the field in 27 minutes of action, the second most on the team.

Although Verge and Martin displayed individual success, the team struggled from the perimeter, making just five of their 17 three-point attempts.

“I asked the locker room how many guys had an open three tonight, and there were a lot of hands (raised),” Hurley said. “Not a lot of baskets went through the rim… You got to make (those shots), you got to maximize the minutes, you got to make the most of your minutes out there, bottom line.”

Redshirt junior forward Romello White also added to the team’s success down low, accounting for 14 points—10 of which came from the free-throw line—16 rebounds and two blocks.

White thinks that in spite of the win, the team has more room for improvement and has yet to reach its full potential.

“We’re right there,” he said. “Maybe a couple little things on defense that we went over during film that we didn’t do or messed up on a couple times and just hitting more shots. (We just have to) keep doing what we’re doing. I feel like we’ve been doing pretty good, just got to hit more shots.”

Following the win, ASU will host the University of Georgia (6-2) on Dec. 14 at 6 p.m. and will look to improve to 8-2 on the year and stay undefeated at home.

Reach the reporter at aklatsky@asu.edu and follow @averyklatsky on Twitter. 

Get the best of State Press delivered straight to your inbox.

×

This website uses cookies to make your expierence better and easier. By using this website you consent to our use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie Policy.