ASU football names Zak Hill as offensive coordinator amid coaching staff changes

Derek Hagan and Prentice Gill were announced as offensive assistants

20191130 Herm Edwards football vs UA

ASU head coach Herm Edwards walks on the field during a time-out during the Territorial Cup against UA on Saturday, Nov. 30, 2019, at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe.

ASU football announced the hiring and promotion of three coaches, including offensive coordinator Zak Hill, on Saturday morning.

Derek Hagan and Prentice Gill were also named as new offensive assistants under head coach Herm Edwards

The changes come after the release of former offensive coordinator Rob Likens, former assistants Donnie Yantis and Charlie Fisher shortly after their win over UA.

Hill spent the past four years at Boise State as an offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, helping lead the team to a 43-10 record in that span.

"Zak is very well versed in offensive football," Edwards said in the released statement. "He's good at building an offense around the personnel that he has available to him. He will force the defense to adjust with multiple formations and personnel groups."

The Broncos produced the 14th-best scoring offense in the nation this past year, putting up 36.8 points per game. They also were the 38th-best team in the nation in total offense, racking up over 441 yards per game.

Boise State has made a bowl game in three of the four years Hill has coached the offense and entered the AP Top 25 at least once in each of those four years.

Hagan, a former NFL player and wide receiver for the Sun Devils, spent the past two seasons as an analyst under Edwards. After the release of the three former coaches, Edwards announced Hagan would continue to work closely with the wide receivers. 

Gill was hired a day after the release of the three assistants, leaving the University of Oregon where he spent this past year after working at USC for three years. Gill will also serve as assistant recruiting coordinator for the Sun Devils.

Oregon recently won the Pac-12 Championship against No. 5 Utah and is set to play in the Rose Bowl against No. 8 Wisconsin. 

Reach the reporter at jhorst2@asu.edu and follow @HorseySeven on Twitter.

Jeffrey HorstDigital editor-in-chief

Jeffrey Horst is the digital editor-in-chief of The State Press. He previously served as the publication's sports editor and worked at Cronkite News and ArizonaSports.com.

×