ASU football to play Florida State in Tony the Tiger Sun Bowl

The Sun Devils (7-5) will play the Seminoles (6-6) in El Paso, Texas on Dec. 31

football vs UA 0819

ASU junior running back Eno Benjamin (3) celebrates after scoring a rushing touchdown in the second half of the Territorial Cup on Saturday, Nov. 30, 2019, at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe, Arizona.

The ASU football team (7-5, 4-5 Pac-12) will head to El Paso, Texas to play Florida State (6-6, 4-4 ACC) in the Tony the Tiger Sun Bowl on New Year's Eve.

The Sunday bowl game nomination comes after ASU won three of its four ranked matchups — Michigan State, California and Oregon — in the regular season, with the only loss to a ranked team coming against Utah.

The Sun Devils won five of their first six contests of the year to move into the AP poll several times, most notably being ranked at No. 17 in the week eight poll.

The Seminoles finished the season at .500 and suffered losses to Boise State, No. 25 Virginia, No. 2 Clemson, Wake Forest, Miami and No. 11 Florida.

ASU is 1-3 all-time against FSU, with FSU having won the past three of the four total matchups. They last met in 1984, where the Seminoles defeated the Sun Devils 52-44. 

The Sun Devils' only victory over the Seminoles came in 1971, where they defeated the former 45-38 in the Fiesta Bowl.

ASU kicks off against FSU at 12 p.m. MST at Sun Bowl Stadium to cap off their 2019 season.

Reach the reporter at aklatsky@asu.edu and follow @averyklatsky on Twitter. 

×